Levinson 333.5 vs. Krell FPB 200, 250, or 300 amp?

We love our Levinson 333.5 amp which drives our Thiel 3.6 speakers. What experiences have you had driving the Thiels with the Krell 200, 250, or 300 series amps vs the Levinson 333.5? What are the basic sonic differences between these amps. Which speakers sound best with these amps? What sonic/design advantages or disadvantages exist between the Krell and Levinson amps?
levchappy

Showing 2 responses by levchappy

Hi Frank and Sam;

It seems that the 333.5 is rare. The .5 upgrade makes a huge difference. The 331 seems to be a bit diminished as compared to the 333. The Krell models are most likely a very good alternative and Nelson Pass has earned a greal deal of respect. My friend is looking to match a Krell KRC-3 linestage to an amp.
Hi Sam;

We had a ML 38S with ML-2's. I traded for the ML 333.5,I ran the 390S direct since I could not afford a linestage. eventually I ended up with an Audio Research LS2B MKII with a single 6922 tube. Steve Huntley at Great Northern Sound Coumpany madified it twice, firts the power supply ending with the Reference level with the signal path mod. The sound and performance are incredible. I had traded my 390S for a Cary 303/300 with 2 12AU7 tubes in the output and GNSC took it to the Reference level... Oh my God!

Bob Backert (RHB Sound Dezign) did a power supply mod on our Art Audio Vinyl One tubed phono preamp. Incredible, can't wait for the signal path Dynamic Linearity mod.