Levinson 320S Phono Module vs. Klyne 7PX

Just wanted to get your opinion on the above choices. Using a ML 320S linestage, will I have better sound using the dedicated phono module for the 320S, or a Klyne phono stage plugged into one of the 320S line inputs?

Thanks in advance for any opinions from the forum's analog gurus.
ca2284

Showing 3 responses by ca2284

Sure thing, Larry. My gut feel is that the Levinson will get better but probably not to the level of the Klyne. It'll take me a while to log 200 analog hours though. Oh -- one more thing I forgot to mention is that the Levinson has 2 selectable resistive settings 200 ohms and 47 kohms. However, you are able to customize load settings by installing a resistor of the desired value (no soldering required as there are screw on provisions). My unit is set at 200 ohms although the recommended setting for my cartridge (ZYX Airy3 Lo), is 100 ohms. I believe other ZYX owners prefer a 1kohm load.

Would using a 200 ohm setting versus 100 ohms make a huge impact in sound?
Thanks for your responses. I went ahead and purchased/installed a brand new 320S phono module and ran it with signal for about 12 hours. I also hooked up the Klyne to the aux line input of the 320 and did an A/B. The Klyne outperforms the 320 module in terms of warmth and neutrality. The 320 module sounds bright and tinny compared to the Klyne, but seems to have more dynamics.

I'm not sure if it's a break in issue as the 320 module only has a tad over 12 hours of use whereas the Klyne has over 200 hours. Anyone know how many hours of break in it would take to obtain optimum sound from a Levinson phono stage? TIA.
Thanks again for the responses. The adjustment pods for resistive settings are actually on the phono board itself. It also has 2 setting for capacitance (0 or +10), which I believe only impacts MM cartridges. I'll try to obtain some Vishay resistors of varying values and experient with them.

I'll also look into the Purist Audio burn in CD. This will greatly expedite things.

The person I know that uses a 1kohm setting on his ZYX Universe LO has all tubed pre and amplification driving high efficiency speakers. Not sure if that makes a difference but he swears he has the optimum setting with his gear.

Thanks again.