Leveling spikes for speakers

Lucky me. Nice floor standing speakers sitting on wall-to-wall carpet laid over a concrete foundation. Nice heavy duty brass spikes came stock on the speakers, so everything should be nice and solid. Right?

Well, except that who ever built this place apparently didn't know how to finish the bloody cement! The slightest move in any direction means pulling the bubble level out and re-leveling the speakers. Actually, it's not so bad since the speakers are where I want them.

Except for one thing. The stock spikes are designed with a level floor in mind. Unscrewing them to level the speakers introduces enough slop that they wobble around which is counter productive. Does anyone know where I can get good quality adjustable height speaker spikes or cones?

Oh, the speakers are Hales Revelation Threes and take four spikes per speaker.
fpeel

Showing 2 responses by doug28450

Remove the spikes. Get nuts with the same thread as the spikes. Thread the nuts onto the spikes and run them snug tight against the spike. Reinstall the spikes back into the base of the speakers running the newly added nut/spike combo tight to the base of the speaker. Level the speakers by backing the spikes out of the speaker base. Once level, run the nut up to the base of the speaker and tighten the nut to the base of the speaker.

Good Luck,

Doug
Gthrush1

If I've got this right, your solution is as follows:

Get a piece of threaded rod with the correct diameter and thread for the for component you want to spike. Also, get some nuts and washers. Cut the threaded rod into lengths long enough to engage the threads in the component and have enough left over for the nut, washer and leveling adjustment. Probably an inch long will do it in many cases. File a point on one end of the cut off threaded rod, put a on nut and washer and thread your homebrew spike into the component (spike pointing down). Level the component, then back the nuts, with the washer between the nut and the component, up against the bottom of the component and tighten a little to firm everything up.

Good Luck

Doug