Less than top line reel-to-reel worth it?

My inner audio geek (expensive bastard, him) has been aroused by the recent resurgence of top of the line reel-to-reel deck re-fabrication units like United Home Audio's decks, and new (almost) master tapes becoming available from the likes of The Tape Project. Problem is I can not buy a $10k deck and $500 tapes, and simultaneously enjoy the benefits of matrimony. Consequently, I have been looking at much more affordable refabricated decks ($1000 - $2000 range) and used stereo 4-track 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 ips tapes.

I believe the expensive stuff can deliver with 2-tracks per 1/4 inch tape and 15 IPS, but should I expect 'better' sound than I can get from my Wadia CD Player, and J. A. Michelle turntable from the more affordable 4-track (two in each direction) slower speed stuff; or would this just be a trip down nostalgia lane?
Ag insider logo xs@2xduddley

Showing 2 responses by buconero117

Well said guys. As a long time R2R hobbyist, owning now over 10 decks and 3000 tapes, it is a lot of fun. Just diving into the whole recording process gives one a great in-depth understanding of all things audio. My recommended decks are the Technics 1500 series, Teac X1000r and last but not the least is the Akai gx-635d. Finding an experienced tech to do service is really a challenge, but well worth the effort. Here in New Jersey I've found the former manager of Teac's tape service facility. He does great work. My R2R interests lead me to the world of old broadcast tapes, especially the Drake and AFRTS stuff. The latter was produced by the government and they spent our taxpayer dollars well, high quality.

As you will find, YouTube is full of many R2R demo's, all of which make great 'eye candy'.