Leben cs300 vs Luxman sq38

Hello all,

Happy to be joining the group. Following 2 months of intense reading & listening to a variety of systems, I have started narrowing down my choices for a new amplifier (I consider this a first step before start looking for the speakers), between a used Octave V80 (which i liked but scared me with it's size and high valve replacement cost) and the cuter Leben cs300.

I was mesmerized by the virtues of Leben cs300: for me it combines good analysis and sheer musicality, I really like it's sound. My only problem with the Leben being it's low power, I was ready to buy it and then look for something like a Zu or a small monitor to partner it with (not ideal, but I felt ok).

Still I was just given the chance to buy a Luxman sq38u at a very good price, new, unfortunately without the option at this point to hear it. I'm thinking about the Luxman's bigger power and phono stage and I'm wondering:

How would you compare the two? Are they close in terms of sound? What should i expect as differences between them? Would i find in the Luxman the things i like on the Leben?Would you go for it? Leben somehow has a more "boutique" kind of feel while Luxman seems a bit more "mass" is it like that? Is the Luxman able to drive many more speakers and if yes what kind of speakers would you partner it with?

Many thx in advance, sorry for the long post,

Peter
peterbel

Showing 1 response by roscoeiii

I think you should back up and reverse the order of your decisions. I strongly recommend deciding on speakers first. Then match the amp to your speakers. You will get much better synergy that way, IME. Speakers are the most important component in your system. And an amp should be chosen that best complements your speakers in accordance with your listening habits and preferences.

Some speakers really need power. Some are best matched with solid state, others work better with tubes. Some speakers like current.