Learning To Listen

I’m frequently astonished when I hear the description of a soundstage by someone who really knows what he’s talking about. The Stereophile crew, Steve Gutenberg, and countless others hear—or claim to hear— when one violinist’s chair is out of line from the others and when the percussion players were forced into the bathroom because the studio was full. Issues like where the mices were placed, who stood where, and where the coffee pot was located are child’s play for these guys. 

Is it “mices” or “mikes?”

This seems to be a skill, like juggling, which one could learn with a little knowledge and a little practice. Some of the super listeners have said as much. But search though I might, I can’t find the key to the kingdom, the door to the fortress, the . . . all right, I’ll stop beating that particular horse.

But if someone could point me to the Cat In The Hat, The Horton Hears Who, the McGillogoty’s Pond of the subject you would have my eternal gratitude.

paul6001
Audio magazine are a source of information and entertainment.  Good writers can entertain a reader with their descriptions of what they hear, but at the same time, don't take what they say too seriously.  It's similar to sports commentators.
If one listens long enough, one develops the skill sets to discern the various factors you mention. The same can be said of any endeavor.

As for being able to relate to another person what they hear, that, too, is a skill set that should have been developed back when in school.

All the best,
Nonoise