Learned something new today and it isn't good.

I have been in this crazy hobby for over five decades and thought I knew most of the basic information regarding audio quality.

That was before this morning.

Today I learned about the practise of applying "pre-emphasis" to CDs that was around during the late '70's and early '80's. Apparently this practise was developed as a way of reducing the signal to noise in digital audio. The problem is this was a two-part process and required the CD player to have a "de-emphasis" capability to allow the disk to play properly. Without the application of de-emphasis, cd's would sound "bright".

My question would be, "Does everyone else know about this?"

If you do, "How do you deal with it?"

I still listen to CDs and this is not something I need in my life.

128x128tony1954

Showing 5 responses by tony1954

@maxwave 

My Lumin D1 has it as well, but it is not an automated function. If you have a CD that requires "de-emphasization" you need to turn the function on in the software.

@onhwy61 

I know it has stopped. My concern is that many of the best quality CDs from that era are pre-emphasized. Specifically many Japanese versions. 

@onhwy61 

I have been trying to find out, but so far no luck.

I have the Cambridge Audio CXC transport.

Pre-emphasis is the first part of a noise reduction technique in which a signal's weaker, higher frequencies are boosted before they are transmitted or recorded onto a storage medium. Upon playback, a de-emphasis filter is applied to reverse the process. The result is a higher signal-to-noise ratio (SNR); the original frequencies are restored, but noise that was introduced by the storage medium, transmission equipment, or analog/digital conversions is quieter than it would have been if no filtering had been done. Pre- and de-emphasis can be collectively referred to as just emphasis.

Emphasis was sometimes used in digital storage media in the late 1970s through early 1980s, including on a small percentage of audio CDs. Emphasis is akin to Dolby noise reduction for tapes, or the RIAA equalization curve for vinyl records.

From what I gather emphasis was implemented to try to improve the sound of the CD players, not the cd's themselves. This is a case where the media was better than the technology to play it.

@erik_squires 

Thanks. Nice to get a response that is based on actual research and facts, as opposed to a lot of guesses and hypothesizing.

Researching information about any topic.

Wasn't that what Google was for, before they tried to take over the world?

@clearthinker 

I don't know what this has to with the topic.

Emphasising was something record engineers did to manipulate the frequency curve to make up for the deficiencies playback equipment half a century ago.

Digital sound quality today is for the most part fabulous and all the discussions about it on this site usually involve tweaking sound, not major surgery.