Law of Accelerating Returns

Notwithstanding this coming from the pen of Robert Harley, I think there's a good point being made here. There are many threads here dealing with the law of diminishing returns. However, I think the way Harley puts it is perhaps more applicable to our hobby - the smaller the differences, the more important they are to those who care about such things. Read it - it's only one page.
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/from-the-editor-the-law-of-accelerating-returns/
chayro

Showing 3 responses by zd542

"10-04-14: Dgarretson
I've always thought of this phenomenon in abstract terms as an example of Xeno's Dichotomy paradox. As one approaches the (unattainable) goal of the Absolute sound, progress is experienced not as the distance travelled from the point of origin, but rather as a closing of the gap that remains. If one's system is 90% of what it can be, then a 5% progress to 95% is perceived as a 50% improvement-- closing the remaining gap by half. At 95% of goal, progress to 96% of goal is perceived as a 20% improvement in performance. This is why relatively small incremental improvements can be meaningful."

The only way you can assign percentages as a representative of performance is if you know what the end result is, and that it can be attained. If you don't know what 100% is, then 50% and 20% (or whatever), is meaningless.
"10-04-14: Onhwy61
I don't live in the reality that audio reviewer live in. It's important to remember that TAS is a magazine that has taken to calling $15,000 power amplifiers and $18,000 loudspeakers "bargains". There was a time when the magazine didn't have to resort to obscure and convoluted reasoning to justify what its writers heard."

I don't see what the big deal is about that. The main purpose of the magazine is to review and discuss high end/expensive audio gear. Its to be expected that they review these type of components. As far as calling 15k amps and 18k speakers a bargain, why not consider taking it a face value? The comment may be valid. For example, I think the Vandersteen Model 5 is a very good value when compared to speakers that are far more expensive like Wilson and Avalon. Its all relative.
"I agree the the Vandersteen 5a is a good value, but it is not as good a value as the Quatro, nor does it represent the bargain value of the 2ce."

Why? How do you go about judging something like that?