Large amp fan for Classe CAV150

My Classe CAV150 is running really hot with my Thiel CS3.6 ran in bridged mode.  It looks like the AV Infinity fan is too small for this unit.  Has anyone found a good "flat" quiet fan that might be good for this?  Options?

dtximages

tximages

... looks like the AV Infinity fan is too small for this unit.

Do you mean the AC Infinity component fans? If so, I think you’d be surprised. The top exhaust full size 17-inch models will move 210 CFM and the rear exhaust units move 160 CFM. You might want to compare that to whatever else you’re considering. I use a a rear exhaust fan on a tube preamp that fits rather tightly in the rack. It’s a great solution. I think Audio Advisor sells them, so you’d have 30 days to try one.

The AC Infinity is 17 inches wide and the amp is like 19x21.  The AC Infinity would sit squarely on top of the aluminum top plate which is almost solid.  All the heat is on the right and left sides so I wanted something that would extend that far out.

Running the CAV 150 in bridge mode with 4ohm speakers is why your amp is running hot

I know i know..  I did a little googling and read a couple of places that it was "Classe approved" to bridge this amp with 4ohm speakers but maybe "approved" doesn't mean smart.

Let me ask you this then.. What is the danger here?  Just heat?  Or am I risking blowing caps/fuses? Killing the amp?

Heat is the danger, but given adequate ventilation and cooling, if the manual states it can handle it, it will handle it.

Classe makes good stuff. Their specs, (and their manuals) mean what they say. 

Happy listening!

A CAV 150 or any amp with 36 output transistors and 28 caps is likely to run warm to begin with, and bridged, well you feel it now. You are on the right path with a good fan if you must. I'd be tempted to run 1/2" spacers on the top cover and blow air across or fab up another topic cover with holes in it to carry hot air up/out faster.

Agree with the comments above with regard to bridging amplifiers. Yes, you increase power output. Unfortunately the amplifier now sees the speaker impedance load cut in half, ouch! 4 ohms is now a 2 ohm load. Considerably increased work for the driving bridged amplifier.

Charles 

I have had good experience with the AC Infinity T9 top fan cooler for my Rogue Stereo 100 amp. You can set the temp that it turns on and off at. It is pretty interesting how fast tube amps heat up. The cooling fans do a nice job.

Has anyone ever measured the sound level of the ACInfintiy T9? Their specs say 21dBA but don’t mention what distance from the unit where that level was measured. I wrote to their tech support and they said they cannot answer that ("we are unable to provide you with the exact distance from which our engineers measure the fan’s noise levels. From my understanding, the dBA ratings are averages of different distances")

Has anyone ever measured the sound of a T9 by itself at say 1m?

Without knowing the distance from the device where your measurement is taken it doesn’t say much. For example, my backup generator is supposed to be a "quiet 74dB", but what they don’t tell you is the generator industry measures sound levels 22’ from the generator. If you're standing next to it, like at 1m, its around 98dBA, which I consider LOUD.

dmlaudio i think the 21db is at its lowest setting and is basically silent.. But YES you can hear it when its on full blast.  These are best used in a closed cabinet or closet if you're going to ramp them higher than "low".

Yes, you are killing your amps doing this... bad idea dude.

I agree! Any amplifier running at a 4 Ohm or 2 Ohm load, will increase the heat and distortion drastically! 😓

Mike

I guess I'll go back to using it in 2ch mode with 150wpc..  Classe CAV150 amp for sale in DFW!