Lamm M2.2 instead Krell EVO 302

Hello!

My current set up consists of Wadia 581 SE, ARC L26 preamp, Krell EVO 302 power amp and B&W 802d loudspeakers (biwired). All wiring is silver made, Sumic Audio from Croatia. I somehow have a feeling that B&W 802d are power hungry and that Krell EVO 302 cannot drive them sufficiently unless listen on higher volumes. Therefore, I am considering to replace the power amp with Lamm M2.2 monoblocks. Do you think it is a good idea?
I LISTEN to all kind of music, but jazz and r'n'r are "my favorite things" :)
Thank you in advance for opinions!
makedonac

Showing 1 response by davidbigeye

I had the 803D, and I also trialed the 802D at home for a while. At the time I had the Krell 400xi, but I got the Evo600 monoblocks soon after.
The B&W needs lots of power, ie. volume, to sound any good. I think the crossover sucks the power up! They really need a lot of power to overcome that damn crossover!
Your Evo302 will be up to the job no worries I think, as even with the Evo600 mononblocks I found the same as you are desribing, and they definately were not running out of power!
I will be very surprised if changing amps solves your problems...you may have to bite-the-bullet and change your speakers...as I had to.
Good luck!
David.