KT150s in Audio Research Ref 110.

Is anyone using KT150s in the Ref 110 and what is your opinion please?  ARC told me that they weren't recommended but I've read differently.  I'm currently using KT120s. 
Ag insider logo xs@2xsamzx12

Showing 7 responses by samzx12

Exactly what I needed to see. Thank you jea48.  The Ref110 sounds awesome with the KT120 but I have 4 KT150 and was thinking about buying 4 more if the amp could handle the KT150s. 
George I understand.  Sometimes you have to pay to play. Been there with a  few tube amps.  From my understanding ARC ran low on 6550 tubes and the later production runs of Ref 110s used the KT120s.  
Thank you Minorl. Very informative and exactly what I was wanting to hear. I would never use tubes not recommended by the manufacturer.  I'm really not into taking unnecessary chances with expensive equipment as some people evidently are as I saw a Ref 110 for sale with KT150s.  I thought maybe they know something I do not or taking chances.  Let's go with the latter lol. 
My KT120s came from Upscale Audio and they were already in the amp when I bought it. They have approximately 300 hours and sound very nice.  In another amp I despised the midrange of the 120 but in the Ref 110 much better. 
I also had a Primaluna Dialogue Premium with 120s and I agree they were waaay to zippy.  My favorite tubes were the Winged C EL34. I tried many but not the 6550. The Sovteks aren't that expensive so i may give them a whirl in the near future. The only downside is have to buy 8 and not 4 lol.