KT150 to KT120..or KT120 to KT150

Has anyone here gone from using KT120's in their amp to KT150's and preferred the KT150 tube...conversely has anyone gone from KT150's in their amp to KT120's and preferred the KT120's? 
128x128daveyf

Showing 3 responses by dsholl1

Hi Dave

I have had a KT150 amp on loan to compare with my KT120 amp. 
I prefer the KT120. There is just something about the KT150 I find too Hi-Fi sounding and cerebral.
I wouldn’t characterise the Kt120 as dry at all. I think it’s a blend of a EL34 and a good 6L6. 
It just sounds a bit warmer tonally to me than the KY150 which does all the Hi-Fi tricks very well. 
I’m sure it comes down more to implementation than the actual tube. 
I have to add that the KT120 takes hundreds of hours to settle in and I think that’s why people dismiss them to soon. 
All the best. 
Would love to know the amp designer. I have been saying the same thing but everyone seems to be on the KT150 bandwagon. 
Keep us posted if you give it a try. I think you are safe to swap them in your Jadis. Might just need rebiasing?

@daveyf  I listened to the Jadis DA88smkii compared to the i50. I much preferred the 88. The 88 was considerably more expensive too. It just has such a musical sound with massive amounts of density. The i50 sounded very clean and Hi-Fi. The i50 has better bass but lacked density and warmth if that makes sense?

I would’ve bought the 88 if it wasn’t so damn expensive where I come from.