kt120 tubes for audio research vt 100 mkIII

came with 6550 can they be replaced with the kt 120. If so what about bias settings etc.
Because the transformer is in the way and the fact that the tubes mount horizontally, it is not possible or recommended.
I checked with Calvin at ARC. He told me not to do it.