KT120 on Copland CTA-405 integrated amp

Hi everyone,

Looking for some guidance... I hope you can help!!
I own a Copland CTA-405 integrated amplifier (great gear btw). Runs as a standard with 4 x KT88 delivering 50 wpc.

I am considering replacing my set of KT88 with a KT120 quad.

Being aware of the precautions to be taken (it is generally advised to check with the manufacturer, due to potential impact on power/output transformers, considering the KT120 characteristica) and since it's not possible to contact Copland directly, I asked 3 different official Copland dealers in 3 different countries, which gave me the following feedback:

- dealer #1 & #2: checked with Copland and no problem as long as bias is set at the same level as for KT88 (0,45V). From what they explained, it's something they verified with the manufacturer, who gave "green light" and recommended same bias setting.

- dealer #3: stated that "main transformer will over run if KT120 are used and could create a mechanical noises. We do not recommend to use KT120 on this unit". Not sure if this comes from the manufacturer or if it's the dealer's own advice. Not sure neither if they reached such conclusion thinking on the typical / optimum bias setting for a KT120 or considering that they would be biased below optimum spec at the same level as KT88.

From Copland's product brochure:

"The current capacity of the CTA405 power supply and output transformers is fully sufficient for a 100 Watts output power. However, with operation conditions set for minimum variation of plate and screen current in the output stage, excellent performance is obtained with very low feedback at 2x 50 Watts per channel."

I am only aware of 2 people having changed to KT120 with this same amplifier: one good friend of mine (he biased at KT88 level) and he's having no problem at all so far since about 3 months, and another person I read about in another audio forum, for whom the swap seems to be working fine as well but no way of verifying... :-)

Anyone here tried this with this amp already, or can provide some guidance/advice? I would really appreciate... since I got some contradictory feedbacks from dealers and I would prefer to play it safe...

Thanks !!!

BTW I have no clue about the plate current, etc of the amp (not mentioned in the manual)
yater
Post removed 
Post removed 
I tried to replace the original electric harmonic 6550 to goldlion kt88. The minimum value of the bias current at kt88 was at least 74 mA. Therefore, it would be nice to know exactly which lamps are suitable for such a low bias current threshold.
@yater are you still running the KT120’s in the copland. Thinking of doing the same in mine. 

Thanks