Krell XD gear in the House Initial Impressions

For those who were following a post we started a few weeks ago about considering bringing in Krell gear here is our follow up post after we just received the display gear.

We had 0 interest in adding Krell to our product portfolio before attending the Capitol Audio Fest we almost missed the room it was on the First floor in the back and it was VPI's room and we are not VPI dealers so it was almost a fluke that we even poked in. The huge Wilson Alex's were beckoning us in, so we decided to take a brief listen.

The sound in this room was mesmerizing, someone played Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side and there in three dimensions was Lou Reed and the three back up vocalisits, the sound was smooth, engaging, transparent, and has a sense of presence that made you take notice. 

So we started looking at the setup, VPI table $15k, Soundsmith cart $8k $110k Wilson speakers, lot of expensive Nordost Vallahalla or Odin but what was driving this insanely good sounding rig there in the bottom of the rack were two Krell 300XD amplifiers and a Krell preamp. 

Here was the best sound at this entire show, and the electronics were a fraction of the price of all of the other reference setups which were $80k monoblocs amplifers, $40k reference preamps and other such expensive gear. 

So we figured we would give the Krell a try part of the reason was logistics, powering our Paradigm Persona 9H is a $50k set of the phenominal T+A electronics from Germany, a $19.5K 300 Watt power amplifier, a $16.5 preamplifier and an optional outboard power supply at $13.5.

We have no issue with this gear it is incredible, however, we didn't have in this room a set or electronics which we thought would really give the T+A stuff a run for its money and yet be more affordable, so the Krell 300XD amp at $10,500 plus their Illusion 2 preamp/dac at $8k we thought would bring the price of doing a top notch system with the Personas down a bit in price and perhaps be a nice addition to our other electronics lines of T+A and Naim for top of the line solid state gear.

We hooked up the new Krell gear yesterday and even after only 24 hours of break in the sonic signature is very similar to what we heard at the Capital Audio Fest. 

The new Krell gear was liquid in the midrange, with nylon strings having the right type of roundness that makes acoustic guitar sound so right, tight well defined midbass, excellent rhythmic control, good top end extension with a slighly soft warm top end, and a big dimensional soundstage.

One of our questions is are there anyone on the boards who has this combo in particular the 300XD power amplifier and the illusion 2 preamp/dac we are currious to the affects of break in and how they improve. 

The sound after only 24 hours of initial plug in and break  in the gear is allready sounding ridiculous good how much better does it get and in what ways?

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ  new Krell dealers

128x128audiotroy
I am old enough to remenber the fact that Krell has not been Krell since Dan left , or was forced out ...  The KSA were what made Krell famous back then..... 

Mark Levinson was screwed so badly he lost his naming rights... his own name, can never use it ever again on an audio product    So if you did your homework you would know that Samsung owns Levinson and Mark Levinson is living in Switzerland building Daniel Hertz....  
I love how every rebuttal includes a product plug......

"The new K300i 150 watts class A power, built in Ess Sabre pro, Roon endpoint MQA buillt like a tank 52lbs, Apt X Blu Tooth, HDMI in and outputs, and it sounds fantastic $8k not cheap but not out of reach either."

And that is out of reach for most people .....

There is no question that the original thread was an advertisement of Krell products, as is this one. I owned original KSA products. Enjoy ! MrD.
Post removed 
I rarely critique posts, but it sure does seem Troy, that your posts fall into one of two categories.

1. Pure promotion

2. The (enter products) that you (poster) own, or are considering are “ok” but this product that we sell is better. So instead of answering the question in the post, you should consider buying this from us instead...

You carry lots of good brands, no question. But maybe focus on differences between yours and others as opposed to typically always positioning yours as better.

For instance, have you done a head to head with the 300xd and another amp, say a pass labs 250.8 on the same price range? How do they sound different? Does one have fans? (yes). Well I avoid fans if I can.  Are both good amps?   I’m sure they are.  How do they sound different...