Krell versus Levinson experience

As posted some time ago, its is difficult to get to have A-B comparisons between amplifiers in Europe, because dealers don´t like to provide home loans. I managed however to spend a whole morning comparing a Krell 200 FPBc, which was my initial first choice and a Levinson 335. Speakers were Martin Logan Prodigy, the front end was a Krell KAV 300CD(non cast) and cable was Transparent. I was astonished as how large the difference bteween the two was. The Levisnon sounded (i) much more controlled in the low and mid bass, (ii) similar in resolution but with a much more relaxed delivery , (iii) with wider soundstage. It may have been the Martin Logans and interconnects, but I had always thought that Krell FPBs matched Martin Logans quite nicely. Just tought I would metion it here as this was a most unexpected result (at least for me)
fchurtic
do yourself a favor go for either pass x series or jeff rowland.i have own both krell and levinson,i will never buy their products again.
before you rowland/pass guys dismiss levinson take a listen to the levinson #33 monoblocks. unless you have listened to these you can't know what levinson's can sound like.

having owned a levinson #332, #33h monos, and now the #33 monos i do understand that the "sound" of the medium range levinsons can be too "analytical" for some tastes. with the #33 monoblocks you get all the speed, resolution and transparency of the other levinsons and more; way deeper bass, harmonically rich and toneally correct midrange, and basically unlimited power in real world terms.

i haven't heard every amp out there but they are the best i have heard. what is really amazing is how similar to the smoothness and bloom of single ended triods they are.

i am not knocking pass or rowland here; in fact i like their sound and could happily live with either. i have not had any great krell experiences but i have not heard their latest stuff. but, the levinson #33 monoblocks do it all while retaining the intimacy and delicacy i only expect from the better tube amps.

if you can listen to these amps; they are really special IMHO.

happy listening.

mike lavigne
I would definitely go with the Levinson gear. I have given Krell an honest shot several times, as recent as last weekend. I have to admit, it SUCKS! It is very forward, in your face, brash and harsh. I know the associated equipment may have had something to do with it (thiel speakers which are also overpriced and overrated junk), but maybe because it was ALL Krell!!! Although it is very detailed, the presentation is obnoxious, and the equipment is 60% overpriced! The levinson gear is just as detailed, less in your face, throws a wider soundstage, images much better, controls deep base better, and is non-fatigueing.
I was at CES in Vegas last month. The ML and Krell booths were in the main convention hall with ALL the mid-fi gear. Most of the other High End companies were miles away at the Alexis Park Hotel. That fact alone makes a person wonder.