Krell SACD, DVD Standard, Showcase, KAV 280CD

I recently purchased a Krell 400xi and some Focal Be Micro's. I really like the sound of the amp and speakers, but I need to replace my current source. (I'm using a Sony DVD to feed my Benchmark DAC 1, but that leaves me without a headphone system for my desk.)

I usually do about 75% music and 25% video. Ideally I would like a DVD unit, but I'm not sure how well they will reproduce audio. I have read about every review out there and am still undecided.

Since I want to stick with Krell, I'm looking at the SACD, DVD Standard, Showcase DVD, and KAV280cd. Obviously the SACD and 280 won't play DVD's, but are they worth the money to only play CD's as I don't have any SACD's? The DVD standard and showcase prices are decent, but can they play CD's as well as a dedicated cd player? Another thing is the Showcase can be upgraded to HDMI with upsampling and to the best of my knowledge, the DVD standard can't.

Any insight will be appreciated.
gherrera1

Showing 2 responses by mclsound

Hi guys
I have recently jumped on the Krell wagon(HTS 7.1,SACD-ver2(a little noisy upon reading the disk only,but works well so far)KSA 250(in almost 9/10 condition and fully recapped a year ago,I am currently looking for a FPB 600 to replace the 250,only because I require more power...
I was also looking for a DVD Standard to match my gear and for my large DVD collection.I never knew of transport problems and all the guys are wanting $1700-$2000 for soon to be outdated format.I will look for a good DVD/BR player and put my $2000 into it unless i can find a DVD Standard cheaper.
Well I feel your pain as my SACD just went on me and well...they want another $1500 from me and I am rethinking my brand loyalty