KRELL KSA 50 100 150 0r 250.

I have decided that i would like to try one of these Krell amps.
BUT, i have never heard one.....but did lots of reading and people seem happy with them.

I understand that the models do sound different with more or less watts, lets hear some recomendations and opinions on these amps.

TIA.

Also thought i would mention my pre is a Krell KSP-7B and currently using a Bryston 4B as a power amp.
x1884

Showing 1 response by chazzbo

Art Dudley made a list of his favorite amps of all time a year or so back and mentioned venerables products like the EAR 509 and a diverisfied line up that people ussually mention like the advatages (and some di adavtages)of SET where he listed his Fi 2A3 amp high on his list.But the only Krell product was the little KSA 50 where he said he still thought that was the best SOUNDING Krell of all.I know that Krell get's kudos for SOME speakers.But when I thought of it for high current and watts to match wioth my buddies Maggie 3.6's I was told "don't do it" by more than one source.This is only if your speakers can go wioth it but you'll also save m,oney wioth a KSA 50.It is so important to match them with speakers and the impedance values of your other stuff.If my buddy could go deep and would put up with tubes it would be better than the Bryston we finally decided was the best bet.But Judy could also have soemthing there with the Pass option and old Threshold or a newer Pass job (Byrston get's a nod as does the Aragon line for value for buck but latter you would match with only a "WARMER" system).You have to ask many sources and list what you've got to go with it.Sources are sam,e but there I go witrh what sounds good and relates the music the way I like first.Then speakers.Wrap it up with your amplification.My problem is I like so many speakers it holds up my options wantiing a "universal solution" but it dosen't exist.Maybe those new B&W 803 Diamonds are worth it (that would go well with Krell) but then maybe the revamped Quads are where I want to end up.BTW right now I use a push pull EL34 based E.A.R Integrated feeding a pair of Odeon Tosca semi Horns.But I want a new main sustem and have been thinking about a flea powered system with a very efficient pair of say Omega speakers which for a grand can use a flea powed 3 watt SET amp (build myown with Bottleneck kits?Nah have abuddy do it) for me or get a a pair of Cain and Cain speakers which can use very little power.But my main system I want Quads ,Audio Physic,Gerhsman,B&W,Joseph,etc so without making a decision about it I can't get main poiwer thing worked out.So let everyone know what your front and back ends are going to look like and we can bettter help you out.Lasty if you WERE sold on Krell KSA I'd mention one I have in closet (would pop my Tosca's go well with the B&W's if I got them) a KSA300S my buddy had hooked to a pair of Wilson Watt Puppy's.I should sell it for $or a bit less but again since I am going to swap out my semi horns I am doing it with trepidation it will be like that awesom tube amp theMesa Barron that I could switch "On The Fly" from 1/3 to 2/3 to full SET and get threew different power levels up to 120 tuybe wats (plnety of power for most speakers).Problem is I miss almost everything I have sold.Have fun don't gocrazy like some of us.Now wasnt that helpful and made things definitive and clear?
Reagrds
Chazz
Best of luck
Chazzbo