Krell KSA 250 - Advice

Long time listener … first time caller :)

I’m looking to purchase a power amp to power Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor speakers and wondered what your thoughts are on the Krell KSA 250. I have seen few 2nd hand ( I’m in the UK so we pay premium for everything ) I have a limited budget (who doesn’t) and not sure if buying a 18 year old amplifier is a good move ? I do know capacitors go in time but what else is probable to go wrong ? and where do you get replacements capacitors etc. If you know of any other pitfalls on owning a KSA 250 then please let me know.

so any advice welcome

Thanks

John
john_hurst

Showing 1 response by mechans

Heat hurts electronics. Krells of that age sound the best they say, but can be used for cooking your Sunday Joint. Try to get the seller to defray inspection and servicing costs which should be only by a Krell authorized service center. Which is an expensive endeavopr here and in th UKL I imagine as you say a p[remium over that.
Isn't VAT etc paid?
The original price won't have a huge impact. The used price with most reasonably current equiment will be around %50 of the original price. With older stuff the used price may not be lower but instead what the market demand now allows. If your lucky no one ever heard of Krell and everyone wants a Beard amp.
Musically it will be compatible and probably very nice. If you like a wallop in the bass octaves very few things beat a Krell in pure class A, prior to the Plateau bias curcuitry. However Like all things audio no one can predict whether you will like it.