Krell KSA-200 Should I Or Shouldn’t I?

I have just seen a 220V Krell KSA-200 in great shape and for a good price. I Have always wanted to own a Krell power amp. However, I am concerned this is a +10 year old amplifier that, by definition, has been running very hot (class A operation). My question is; if I buy a +10 year old KSA-200 what problems should I expect? How reliable has your KSA-200 been over the years?

Regards,

Marcus
mgattmch

Showing 1 response by erider

I owned a KSA-200 in the early 90's. It was without a doubt one of the best amps I have ever owned. The sound with my meticulously positioned pair of Apogee Duettas made grown men cry. My amp began to trip shut and I called Krell for repairs. They knew immediately what the problem was (some sort of faulty switch I believe). Not only did they fix it but also paid for the air freight (quite expensive for this behemoth) and returned it to me within one week. I was, and remain, in awe of what I consider the last of the great Krells. If that kind of service still holds true than you have a winner. The KMA series was a mono version of the KSA. You simply purchased another KSA and the factory would modify the two for mono (free of charge of course). The biggest problem you will encounter is lugging the beast around. Remember, the Krell is pure class A and drinks electricity like anything. It sounds best if it is left on for at least 24 hours so you should plan on having your electric bill go up. No matter what the reviewers say, frankly I am not impressed with the newer Krells - but the old KSA Aaaah now there was a power amp !!!!