Krell KSA-150 vs. Simaudio W-3... + ??? pre-amp

After looking at some choices for new integrated amps, I decieded to look at used separates that go for around the same price together. I have liked the Krell KSA series since it came out, but I have recently discovered Simaudio. From what I have read it would seem that the Simaudio is a bit more refined and has a warmer sound. Does anyone have addional thoughts on this. The Krell KSA-150 and the Simaudio W-3 are about the same price used.

Also, what would be a good solid state (for reliability) pre-amp that I could find used for $1000 or less. The only one I am considering at the moment is the Acoustic Research LS-9, but I need some more suggestions. I do not have much experience in this area.

What would a tube pre-amp do for this system; a tube pre-amp with a solid state amp? What are the reliability concerns that deal with buying tubes used?

Please look at my other recent post http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1054507262&openusid&zzKey_metric&4&5#Key_metric for a description of my musical tastes and situation.
key_metric

Showing 1 response by key_metric

Oops!

I forgot to mention that any pre-amp I choose must have a remote control for the volume.