Krell KRS-100 caprevision

Dear All,

Just acquired a pair of Krell KRS-100 Class A fixed bias monaural amplifiers,
The blue large can Sprague Series 36DE filter-capacitors (6 of them per chassis) have a date-code of 8826 what means they're manufactured in week 26 in the year 1988. The other small caps are German Roedersteins 24 of them orange axial ones per channel. These are of the same age and most techs will state that the should be replaced.
I choose Vishay AML 138 series with a 105 degree Celcius rating. The smaller darkish red radial Roedersteins have all been changed by Vishay 105 degree Celcius types already.
Question: apart from the smaller caps I do not think that the big blue Spragues need replacement when they measure okay , I mean ESR and capacitance or am I wrong.

The drivers on top of each of the six coolingtowers are Hitachi K176/J56's followed by three MJE15024/25 outputtransitors.

There's also a opposite pair of MJE15030/31 TO220's in the middle of the blue coolingfins and these are used as temperature sensing devices I've been told and they should be attached to the two middle cooling towers of the six.

Any other advice regarding these amps? I like them very much and do intend to keep them.
As Krell wants I drive them with a solid state pre-amp (Threshold FET ten/e series) and it sounds gret to my ears.

Reactions are really welcomed because these amps are not very well documented like for instance the Levinson ML-2's

Thanks in advance
brian_eno

Showing 3 responses by brian_eno

Strange thing is though - I didn't want to mention it to not influence any responses - that all the Sprague's CDE's and Mallory's I swapped before from Thresholds, Levinson's and Conrad Johnson's measure great on capacity and ESR and I have at least 20 of them. Even the Sprague's from my Class A ML-2's from 1977 still measure okay. I have a dedicated ESR meter and capacity meter.
The only 105 degrees Celcius big cans are those KEMET (RIFA) PEH169 series, but these are hard to find and very expensive and do not have a rating of 40,000 uF in the same case as what is installed now.
I would like to do it myself.

Just bought 50 Vishay 138AML Series axial (470uF, 100V 105 *c).
All radials have been done.
Big blue Spragues (40,000 uF, 90V and 95 *C) always measure good. Just measured 8 of them in a pair of KMA-100 Mk2's and their capacitance rating was more l than specified and the ESR's were all lower as 0.1 Ohm.

I've received much warnings but no real help as usual.
Bit dissapointed
Well you can only be sure if you measure them especially the ESR.
Actually mine were all 0,00 when I measured them individually.
The KSA-250 I think you're referring to, is even a few years younger as my KRS-100's (1989) and changing the 6 large cans is pretty expensive and I have 12 of them...

I changed the 48 orange axial Roedersteins (470uF, 100v) and they still measured good with low ESR and more capacitance than specified (around 600uF all of them). But they were from West-Germany implying at least 30 years old so now I do not have to worry about them anymore.