Krell KCR-HR or Krell KAV280i

Hi all, 

I've been using a Krell KCR-3 for a few years and whilst I am mostly happy with it, I would like to try the KCR-HR or a KAV 280p unit. I've recently come across both for sale here in Europe with the 280 being a couple of hundred dollars more than the HR and would appreciate your opinions on which would be the more suitable purchase. Auditioning new units isn't really a consideration for me, I live in Malta and the Island, well, I don't think there's much audiophilia here. Perhaps one of you has auditioned or owned both units.

My poweramp is an upgraded Counterpoint NPS200 driving Dynaudio Contour S3.4 Speakers via Kimber Select 3035 Speaker cable. . . I listen to a lot of Spoon, Genesis, Trail of Dead, Sigur Ros, Pearl Jam, Beatles from both cd (Krell MD2) and vinyl (Rega RP6) sources........ Thanks in advance. .   Nick
panamahat

I have worked with the KRC-3 as well as the KAV-280p.

The KRC-3 has the older "D'Agostino" sound.  He tended to like a more warm sound.  It was nice, but I remember hearing some sibilance issues - could be from the warm/lush type signature.

The KRC-HR was the top of the line back then.  It has a significantly larger power supply compared to the KRC-3 line.  It also is a fully balanced/differential preamp, where the KRC-3 was only a single-ended circuit.  It was said that the "HR" was the model to go after.  It has kept its value for a very long time, even on the used market today.  I have not heard it, but I suspect it keeps the older type sonic signature but with a much more refined sound.

The KAV-280p is a completely different beast and is the "new krell" after D'Agostino left.  It also is the first generation to use all SMD devices, where the older stuff was all "through-hole" components (as D'Agostino continues to like to use).  The KAV-280p is going to be a much faster circuit that has higher resolution and more attack.  It is definitely not a forgiving preamp, but I love the sound.  It is also a fully balanced/differential circuit.  It has a fully balanced/differential input stage as well as a fully balanced/differential output stage, both fully discrete Class A circuits.

Either one of these would probably need to be re-capped because of their age.  In my opinion, the KAV-280p power supply is undersized.  The Class A circuits suck a lot of current!  I have made huge improvements in the sound quality by increasing the main power supply caps to 4 x 6800uf (use Nichicon KW).  The original caps were 4 x 3300uf if I remember right.  This provides enough power to allow the waveforms to be fully built.  This removes the brightness/harshness of the preamp and gives it much more bass strength.