Krell KAV-400xi vs. Parasound A21+P3

Hi all,

Which one is better between Krell KAV-400xi and Parasound A21+P3?

I have a pair of NHT classic three with Kimber 8TC.

I am open for other amp that is less than $1,400.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you
trinnatee

Showing 5 responses by audiobroke

Hey, I like this question. This is an interesting situation that I've asked my self before. Honestly there really is no reason to get the Krell integrated over the Parasound combo. The Parasound combo is a standout bargain compared with the Krell integrated. If you really want an integrated, the Creek Destiny is a great unit, but it will still cost you more than the Parasounds.
I just noticed, for some reason I thought you were comparing the P3 and A23! The A21 and P3 will blow away the Krell! It's not even a contest. This will be only a slightly more expensive option. The A21 won't overheat when you dive it hard either, and has buttloads of current for bass control:) No offense to Stevecham, but I don't believe that he's heard the Parasound combo. I've owned it, and compared it to various integrateds including the Krell KAV-400xi. I am obviously partial, but for good reason.
Stevecham< "not to mention a much better current capacity doubling down to 2 Ohms. Parasound gear is not rated at 2 Ohms. If you don't need this current capability then Parasound may well fit your needs."

The current ability of the Parasound and heat dissapation is one of the main reasons to get the Parasound.

You also certainly can't compare the old lower tier Parasound designs to the new Halo stuff. They are completely different animals.

Comparisons
Krell: 750va Transformer
Parasound: 1.2 kva Transformer

Krell: 55,000 UF power supply filter capacitance
Parasound: 100,000 UF power supply filter capacitance

Krell: weight 36lbs
Parasound: combined weight 75lbs (The power transformer alone weighs as much as the Krell integrated)

Krell: Current ?
Parasound: 60 peak amperes per channel

Krell: Get's hot under normal listening conditions
Parasound: Runs relatively cool even when driven hard

The Krell is not rated for 2 ohm use either, not on their website, and not in the manual (and it certainly won't "double" it's current capacity at 2ohms, if it could it would weigh about 100+lbs), but I'd be willing to bet money in a 2 ohm torture test that the Krell would give up the ghost MUCH sooner. It's just physics. A much larger power supply, and much larger heatsinks will deliver more power (current)and dissapate more heat under any given load.

I'm not saying that the Krell isn't a great product. It is very attractive, has a good build quality and performs reasonably well for a $2500 integrated, but it still is just a somewhat compact integrated amp. I'm sure it is very enjoyable to listen to. This is still just the lowest model in the Krell line though.

In the back of my mind sometimes I think that all this crazy system with all it's complexity, variables, and cost might just be simpler and better served with just an integrated such as the Krell or Creek Destiny, and a player and pair of speakers... Then I sit down a listen to a new CD I picked up and realise why I do all this. It's probably the single most enjoyable thing I have in my life to be able to hear music like I'm in the studio with the artists. There isn't an integrated that can yet do that.
>If 750VA can handle 200/400Wpc, why waste so much bigger transformer (2000VA..!!) for ONLY 50W additional power...???

Current my man. Wattage really isn't the most important aspect of power, unfortunately it is the spec that is most often published though. Think of wattage as the speed of water coming out of a hose, and current as the hoses diameter. For instance a garden hose flowing at lets say 15 ft. persecond, or a fire hose flowing at that same speed. The fire hose will deliver well over ten times the amount of water even they are flowing at the same speed. If you stand in front of each hose, the garden hose will get you wet, the fire hose takes three guys to hold and will knock you over! Plus the bigger the transformer, the more likely the amp will perfectly double wattage and current as the ohms drop. A bigger transformer is almost never a waste. Power in reserve creates effortlessness. Just like people that have 400wpc and rarely listen to more than 50w of actual power. The 50w that they do use is a lot cleaner because they have so much power in reserve. Hopefully this helps.

Cheers!
Zormi, ahh I didn't pick up on that. So we agree then.

Stevecham, nobody is saying that your stereo doesn't sound good. We are just comparing the A21's power to the Krell 400xi's. You are the one that brought up the "superior" current capability of the Krell piece vs a Parasound piece that you know nothing about. We are just correcting you. If you like your combination then great. I have had the Thiel 2.4's in my system for almost a month, so I am very familiar with them as well. They certainly performed better when the A21 was hooked up to them although I would never characterize the bass as "deep and extended". For an almost $5000 speaker the bass was lacking. The more current heavy an amp that I gave the Thiels the tighter the bass became. They actually had deeper bass in a more underpowered arangment. This is due to the amps inability to control driver excursion resulting in a heavier bass presentation although less accurate. The Thiels had excess brightness, and a metallic midrange which is why I ultimately didn't choose them. They are a sexy speaker though and fit and finish is first rate. They may find a certain synergy with the Krell piece though. If you have them and are happy, than just enjoy them!