Hi
My current system consists of:
Krell KSA250
Krell KSP-7B
AudioNote DAC2
Jadis JD-3
Dunlavy Alethas
Not so hi-end cables
I actually is planning to replace my KSP-7B with a tube pre-amp such as Sonic Frontier SFL-2, until I read the Stereophile magz Feb 2005 issue regarding the new integrated-amp Krell KAV-400xi. It says "My favorite krell ever" !! Is it really that great? I am just thinking that by investing approx. $1000 more (after selling my Krells), I can get a brand new 400xi. My question is: Is the KAV-400xi better then the combination of KSA250 + Sonic Frontier SFL-2? I could not compare them as I have no luxury to audition the KAV-400xi. I have tried the KSA250+SFL-2+Dunlavy, I am actually quite satisfied with those combination, but they are old!!!
Please help me, thanks so much.

Regards
Adinata
atjandra888
I had experiance with other Krell Kav 150, and didn't like it. This time I listened Martin Logans with Kav 400xi and was very impressed. Not at all what most people think of Krell "house sound. I own Pass Aleph 3, but wouldn't hesitate to own 400xi either.
I had a chance to compare Krell 400xi with Krell 750 MCX monoblock, connected to a pair of Revel Studio/Salon(not sure with the model, it was the most expensive model of Revel loudspeakers) with Nordost Vahalla (not sure with the spelling). The expensive monoblock produces beautiful sounds. After I listen to the monoblock, I asked the owner to change the amplifier to the Krell 400xi that I was going to buy. The difference is very subtle, only in the very minute passage of the song that I can pick up the difference. Considering, the amount of money that I am going to spend, I think I should be very happy with Krell 400 xi. Hope this helps.
I recently auditioned the 400xi driving Vivid Audio K1 speakers with a Meridian G08 cd player. Although detail, tonality and pace was good, the sound seemed boxy, stuck in the speakers and did not throw a convincing soundstage. Your separates may do a better job in this regard.
I recently auditioned a pair of B&W 803Diamond speakers powered by a Krell 400xi and the soundstage was very wide and fairly tall with sounds hanging all over the room, unamplified instruments were consistantly heard at 3:00 and 9:00 (when seated at 6:00). It was in a large room with good acoustics maybe this is why Gtan heard the opposite.
HI!
IM NEW IN AUDIO, I HAVE A COPLAND CSA8, AND MY RESELLER OFFERED ME A KRELL 400XI, WORTH THE DIFFERENT?
I DIDN`T HEARD DE KRELL.
THANKS
I had the Krell 300i which I used with Dunlavy SC-III's for years. I always enjoyed it. Last year I got a Primaluna Prologue 1. Since that time I haven't hooked up the Krell. The PL is much more musical, bigger more 3 dimensional soundstage, more natural sounding. The mids are incredible with the PL when compared to the Krell. I am hearing things in the mids I never heard with the Krell. The only thing I lost was a slight amount of bass punch. I have never heard the 400xi and it may be completely different from the 300i so my experiences may be pointless for you. I thought I'd throw my experience here since you are a Dunlavy owner in case it helps.