Krell KAV 300i Problem

Hi, everyone,

My beautiful Krell KAV300i has started to show some issue recently that I hope somebody here can address the problem. Well, I can explain the problem as follows;

1- Amp is on, nothing connected to the input jacks, when I get closer my hands or touch one of the input RCA jacks a very high, annoying hum starts,

2- Amp is on and I play and listen to something thru one of the single ended inputs without having a problem. But when I switch to an empty input channel annoying hum starts again.

This probably happens to be a grounding problem and just have occurred very recently. Something has failed inside the amp but what would it be? I have been using another system using the same AC outlet having no problem at all. I also tried this amp in another room but the problem was still there.

I’d like to have comments on this.
Thanks.
hmavunduk

Showing 4 responses by hmavunduk

Thanks for your comment. Hum occurs in normal listening volume level. There might be substantial amount of hum in preamp but the weird thing is that I have not heard that much amount of hum before. Lastly I tried to drive the amp with my dac-headphone amp combo (ifi nano) it was enough to touch the dac for the hum suddenly appears and drove me crazy.
I just found that 'preamp out' jacks of the amp shows short circuit when I check them with a multimeter. Is that normal? If not what would be wrong?  

(I actually took out preamp section before checking)
Thanks Al, That would help. Now I know that one of the elements on the preamp circuit board is faulty and I should find and kill it if I can.

Regards,
Malik