Krell KAV-250a: good? vs. Bryston 4B ST at price?

How is the Krell KAV-250a? In terms of weight, size, and price it seems like "Krell Lite". How would you compare it to the other Krel amps? How is it at it's price point? Recently discontinued, they can be had new for about $2000. Is it worth it? Or for around the same money are you better off with a Bryston 4B ST (which has similar power ratings)? What else around that price and comparable output levels would be better? These would drive a pair of Mirage M-3si speakers, and be feed by a Sonic Frontiers preamp.
papertiger

Showing 2 responses by angela100

It depends on what you are looking for in sound. Krell will kick yer booty, but I find them to be TOOO in your face. Great for rock and roll. Hey these are just my opinions, folks. The Bryston is "warmer" and I would think a much better match up for your tube preamp and M-3si's. I am a fan of Bryston, so I may be a little "prejudiced" and I know that we NEVER have THAT around here, do we :)
Do I own any? no, so I am NOT promoting what I have, just what I would choose over those two. We had Krell in the chain for about 2 days once. I am NOT Krell bashing, just doesn't match up with what my ears want. It's a personal taste thing.
(currently have Rowland Model 1's-matched pair, Classe CA300 in the HT and a pair of Wolcott P220M Presence Mono Block Tube amps in the 2 CH)
What kind of sound are you looking for?