Krell KAV-250a/3 or KAV-500?

I have a Krell HTS 5.1 and Thiel CS 1.5s, and I'm trying to decide which three channel amp to get. I'm strongly biased toward matching the preamp and amp, so I'd like to get something else from Krell. Does anyone have any opinions on the KAV-500 (in 3 channel configuration) versus the KAV-250a/3?
donnelly

Showing 4 responses by donnelly

Is power the only factor for that? The Thiels are 4 ohm speakers, so the KAV-500 would be giving them 240 wpc. The recommended power for the speakers is 50-150 watts. It seems like even the KAV-500 would be plenty, and the 500 wpc at 4 ohms that the KAV-250a would provide would be excess.
Thanks Dave, I'll definitely check out balanced connections. I have an integrated amp now (an old Creek), so I don't have amp to preamp interconnects. I'll have to demo a few different things to see what I like the best.

Other than power, do you think there are any differences between the KAV-250a and KAV-500? I've listened to the 3250 and know I like that, but for financial reasons I'm going to be going with something a bit older. The 250a goes for a bit more than the 500, but if there's a marked difference in sound quality it would be worth it. If not, I'll go with the 500, and use the extra cash for media.