Krell K-300i vs. other integrated amps under 10k

I am looking for an integrated amp to drive my home theater L and R channels (Focal in wall with beryllium tweeters) as well listening to HIfFi using aforementioned speakers and possibly other speakers that I own. (SF Elipsa, Diapason, Focal utopia)

Options include MAC 7200 and Krell K300i and Hegel 360. I’m leaning to Krell.

I haven’t seen many reviews on the Krell, aside from Stereophile.

I’m unclear if Krell is a true Class A vs. class AB. There are reported overheating issues with this model, and it is reportedly voiced warmer than a classic Krell.

I won’t be able to audition either before buying.

I would appreciate any information on these amps especially pairing them to Focal beryllium tweeters.

ei001h

Showing 1 response by arro222

@Dave and Troy

In the early 2000’s and late 90’s, we carried Krell in our stores. They wowed some and fatigued us. They were what I’d call "pitchy" toward the upper octaves creating an unpleasant stridency. We were comparing them to some of the other amps we sold being ARC, Manley, Quick Silver, etc. The Macs seemed like people singing thru a pillow back then but I guess they may have changed as well.

The Krells were so "speaker dependent" back then, we paired them mostly with Spendors to acquire a better sound. 

At any rate, I am curious as to what Krell did to tame down their amps because what I’m reading speaks of a different voicing presently.