Krell FPB 600 or 250M's?

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my current KAV250a to a bigger Krell to go with my ARC LS25 and Proac D28's. I've got the chance to get a FPB 600 thats been upgraded to a 700c or a pair of 250m's. Has anyone had experience with them both? I know the 600 is truely a great amp but wonder how it would compare with the 250m's. I'm thinking the 600 would be above par here but would like a second opinion. Also, does anyone think that the upgrade to a 700 (factory) will have any effect on the sound of the amp?
doug2507

Showing 1 response by doug2507

Speakers matching with the fpb isnt really a problem. From what i gather the FPB has quite a smooth upper range so shouldn't be too fatiguing with the proacs. Add a tube pre into the equation and everything should be fine i reckon. I know the proacs work best with tubes but i still like the punch and speed of SS so a tube pre should be 'enough'. Source is a KPS20i(delta 9).

I'm inclined to go with the 600 as well. From what i can gather it really is one of the all time greats and a keeper. Mono's mean more boxes, more heat, more cables, more cash if they go wrong. Just wandered if they were even remotely in the same league as the 650's which would probably be the next step up from a 600.