Krell FPB 400CX vs PASS LABS X-350.5

I'm moving up the ladder and have it down to these two amps. Any suggestions?? Should I go with the Krell FPB400CX or the PASS LABS X-350.5??

Speakers: DeVore Fidelity Nines
Preamp: Pass Labs X-1
Source: Esoteric X-03SE
Cables: Audiopath Silver 8 all around
roor
I found the PASS X250.5 to be noticably quite superior to the Krell FPB-300cx when compared side-by-side. I would assume that the same would go for the next models up. The PASS X.5 series is 5+ years newer than the old Krell FPB series. I found the Krell Evolution Stereo Amps to be sonically very competitive with the PASS X.5 (& XA.5) Stereo Amps.
Post removed 
Ditto Tvad's comments. If you want to stick to solid state you could also consider the class A models from Plinius: SA-50, SA-100 & SA-02.... or Clayton S40 & M100
Post removed 
I agree with Tvad and Pdreher. Based on my experience with earlier Pass class-A vs AB designs, including older Threshold models, if the XA-60.5 is remotely close in price to the X-350.5 go for the XA. It will sound enormously powerful on the Nines and will have subtlety and nuance the AB amp lacks.

Happy listening,
John DeVore
Thanks a bunch, guys. I appreciate you taking the time to call me the other day, John. I picked up the Nines last week, and they are awesome. I just sold my Pass Labs X-250.5 and and have ruled out the krell FPB, so it will be the X-350.5 for now. I've found a good deal on the X-350.5, but someday plan to go up again to the XA-100.5's.

Best Regards,
Greg
I talked with a very reputable Pass Labs dealer and he mentioned that the XA-60.5 would be a different sound than the X-350.5 He said it would be warmer, and more tube sounding but the X-350.5 would have much more control and bass slam (he doesn't have any X-350.5's now, and isn't trying to push me one way or the other). I listen to mostly rock and roll, and complex sounding music at moderate to higher volumes. The XA-60.5's would probably do it with the Nines and be the best choice, but Pass agree's that I may want t a little more power than that - considering my taste. I actually started thinking the XA-30.5 would be the sweetest, but it wouldn't have enough UMPH for me. Pass warned me of this. I was thinking the XA-60.5 would do it, but have started to rethink that I should go with the XA-100.5's. I know these would smoke the X-350.5 but are much less expensive than the XA-60.5 or the XA-100.5's

Do you guys think the XA-60.5 would be more than enough?? Keep in mind, I hope to move up to the DeVore Fidelity Silverbacks someday.....(part of the reason for wanting a amp plenty big enough, and essentially all class A)

TVAD I went on a tube quest for about 10 years, and had dozens of very expensive tubes, and was rolling them all the time. I decided to make the change back to solid state a few years ago and have never looked back. I do aggree that they sound like nothing else, but for me the ease of SS is very appealing. I am in love with the Pass X and XA amps/preamps. Thanks for all your help. I will let you know what I decide to do. I'm going to try and get both the X-350.5 and the XA-60.5 in my home together at the same time to properly compare.
Post removed 
>>05-17-09: Roor
I talked with a very reputable Pass Labs dealer and he mentioned that the XA-60.5 would be a different sound than the X-350.5 He said it would be warmer, and more tube sounding but the X-350.5 would have much more control and bass slam<<

He's correct on the different sonics but way off on the control and bass slam. I recommend he listen to them side by side.

Dealer disclaimer
I agree with Tvad, and tend to lean heavily towards quality vs. quantity when it comes to amps and audio gear in general. The Nines & the Silverbacks are quite efficient, and should match well with the XA-60.5, even with your musical tastes. Would be interested to hear John DeVore's thoughts / preferences between the two amp in question.
According to the latest stereophile measurement XA-30.5 clips (1% THD) at around 100W. XA-30.5 or XA-60.5 may be just fine for your use. FWIW I use First Watt F5 at 25Wpc with my Focal Electras in 15 x 20 room, and I have never felt I needed more power.
Post removed 
Tvad - my bad... at the risk of sounding like a kiss ass, I agree with your last statement
Do you all think the smaller Pass Labs XA-30.5 would be enough for the Nines. My room is 14' x 24'?

Would that be a better choice than the X-350.5??
Post removed 
Well I actually had both amps side by side in my system for a while and the Pass X350.5 is better in every aspect than the FPB400CX.

The X350.5 should be compared to the Krell EVO402 and then they are very close. I had the EVO402 as well and it does sound very similar to the Pass X350.5 but at 1.5 times the price.

For price / performance ratio the Pass is the best.

The FPB700CX is much better than the 400CX and would come close to the Pass X350.5. The 700Cx might even have a little more bass slam.

Peter
I did a head to head audition between the X-250.5, the X-350.5 and the XA-30.5.

The smaller 30 watt class A XA-30.5 smoked both of the X models, and has more than enough power for my DeVore Nines in a large room.
Post removed 
The DeVore Nines/Pass XA-30.5/Pass X-1/Esoteric X03-SE combo does not sound cool at all in my opinion. I would say very slightly warm "ish"; yet smooth, and neutral. Correct I guess would a good description. Dead quiet with more soundstage depth than the Pass X-model amps.The Pass Labs XA amps are killer.