Krell FPB-400cx vs. Pass 350.5 for Thiel 3.6

Hey Guys,
I am looking to upgrade my amplifier and have narrowed my choices to these two amplifiers. I want maximum performance and would like to know which amp is going to deliver the goods? :) I have found that the aspects I am looking for are more detail, a wider and deeper soundstage, and images with more substance and shape.

My current setup is as follows,

Thiel 3.6
Classe CP-50
Esoteric X-03
Parasound HCA-3500
Spacedeck/Nottingham Cartridge

You can check it out here,
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1208030380&view

Thanks,
Matt
cadence151

Showing 1 response by gundam91

I have not heard the Krell myself, so can't comment on that. I had owned the Thiel 3.6 for over 8 years paired with an ML #333. At that time, I had been contemplating about upgrading the speakers. But I was having some problems with the ML#333, so I traded it in for a brand new Pass X350.5. I got to hear the Pass X350.5/Thiel 3.6 combo for a few months (before I sold the Thiel 3.6 and purchased a pair of Verity Parsifal Encores).

I had the Thiels dialed in pretty well from feedbacks I had received from others who are familiar with Thiel 3.6s. Several of my close friends who are familiar with my system were pretty amazed when I first hooked up the Pass. (fresh out of box brand new, not broken in yet) All the improvement you listed above + deeper and tighter bass. It was an eye-opener for me! I was fairly confident that I had driven these Thiels to its "max". And I thought the change of amp would just be more of a lateral move, or the changes would be just minimal.

A friend who has been using the #433 in his system came over to hear the Pass that first week. He went home and put his 433 on Agon, and bought an X350.5 that weeekend.

I had seriously thought about keeping the Thiels for few more years after hearng the combo. But at that time, I really wanted to try different speakers.

On a side note, as much as I liked the Thiel 3.6, I am really glad that I moved over to the Verity Parsifal Encores....

FrankC