Krell FPB 400CX, Bel Canto Ref1000 MkII

Hey Guys,

I just got a new pair of Revel Gems and was wondering what amp you thought would be a better choice in my system. I have a placette passive linestage, wadia 7 transport going into a levinson 30.5 DAC and hopefully a nice turntable soon, oh and a Revel B15 sub. I know these amps are pretty different Krell is huge class A and the Bel Cantos are tiny(in size not power) class D.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks
chauncey

Showing 7 responses by dave_b

Class D (code word for cheap amplification aka dumbed down) is no comparison for Class A IMHO:O)
15lbs...wow, that Bel Canto stuff must use pixie dust instead of real parts I guess.
32lbs my Krell is..200w/ch into 8ohms it will do! $2k it cost me Hmmmmm. 500 into 8ohms and 1000 into 4ohms would seem to defy credibility given it's relatively demure stature:O) Any way, I thought it sounded soft on top, quick and punchy but lacking real solidity and dense images. It is an alternative however given the price of power these days, but I'll take my krell or Musical Fidelity or any number of other brands over Bel canto.
Simontju states his case well and should be commended, unlike some other Audiofieils I know:O) Perhaps I will give them
FYI, Absolute Sound did a Class D comparison and found that their is no free lunch for amplification...even decent Class A/B designs sounded less mechanical and more faithfull sounding:O)
I've been to the mountain top, but kept cominh back to the 400xi...it just does it for me:O)
Jeepers, let's see (big breath)...ARC VT100 and 200, ARC HD220 and Vs110, Levinson 332 and 336, Krell FPB600, 400cx, Evo402, 350MCX's, MF A5, Mcintosh MC501's...perhaps I should stop and let Audiofeil add some of the amps he has "OWNED" or are they all for sale in your shop?