Krell FPB 300 vs ML 333 for Thiel CS6

Planning on upgrading from using the front channels on a Proceed AMP 5 (now) to either of the two mentioned in the header. Anyone have any idea of which would be the better choice ? Thanks.
delmarhf

Showing 3 responses by gundam91

I lived with a pair of Thiel 3.6 mated with ML333 for over 8 years. Before that had a pair of 2.2 for another 7 years. I thought the Thiel/ML combo work fairly well until I switched over to the Pass X350.5. Is there any specific reason why you limit your choice to these two amps?

I would strongly recommend not to buy a ML 3xx series amp. They have an issue with caps blowing up. I had mine back in the factory twice. When I spoke to the customer service, I found out the dealer had already sent it back once before. Actually, the amp sounded better when I got it back last time. But I did not want to risk having blown caps again in a few years. The replacement cost me over $1200.

I ended up trading it in for Pass X350.5, which was an eye opener. A much better amp than the ML333 by a big margin. I had been planning on upgrading to Thiel 6, but ended up buying a pair of Verity Parsifal Encore.

FrankC
The issue I had mentioned earlier regarding the ML 3xx series has been well documented on the web. Harmon no longer offers the .5 upgrade. I had asked when I sent my amp back for fix 2 years ago.

I think system synergy will play a big part. So you need to think about which preamp you will be using. I am using a GNSC modded ARC LS-25 Mk I.

I had a chance to hear the Pass X350 next to the X350.5 at a friend's house. Huge difference. All present agreed that the non .5 version sounded more like the typical SS amp, cold and sterile. The .5 amp has that midrange warmth that earlier Pass Aleph amps were well known for.

FrankC
$900 + shipping both ways. So figure about $1200 to $1300. There's another thread talking about this right now.

FrankC