Krell fpb-200 advice

I 'am about to buy a Krell fpb-200 (not c or cx) to get the best possible bass, dynamics, speed, accuracy, in this budget and in this frequency range, from my active bi-amp diy speakers (15 woofers/97db eff.) under 300Hz. Considering the very good efficiency of these woofers i think that 200w is sufficient comparing to the higher power fpb, isn't it?
I thought it was one of the best, that i avoid its supposed weaknesses as i will use it in this particular active config. and as i use a CJ mv75 for smoothness, presence etc.. above 300hz (midrange/highs soon to be replace by an ARC vt100/kt88) ; but i read here and there very mixed opinions, some says it's muddy, dull, that soundstage lacks depth and focus etc...
others that is simply musical with big slam, what i'am after in fact! Where's the Truth?
As I couldn't listen to it in my own system before I buy, I would very much appreciate your advices!
Any input is welcome, thanks!
juno

Showing 2 responses by cmpromo

I'll give you my honest opinion. I owned that amp for a year. I had been using an Acurus a-200 with my Dunlavy 4A's and was looking to get into into a serious amp. The Dunlavys are pretty efficient (91db) and are easy to drive, but they are ruthlessly revealing. The high frequencies were piercing my ears and I couldnt listen very long. I figured a 200 watt Krell would be more than enough. I shucked out 3 grand and what I got was a little better bass. Nothing else changed. So im thinking room treatment, source, cableing. Cant be the Krell, they're great. Better speaker cables helped a bit but I wasnt anywhere near where I wanted to be. I finally came off of another grand and picked up a Pass X-350 and let me tell you everything changed. All I wanted to do was to tame the highs and I got that plus a lot more. Not only did the grain in the upper frequencies leave but they just sounded natrual. More air around the instruments, and the detail! I literally heard things on my cd's that I hadn't previously heard with the krell. And the bass still slams. It was funny, later down the road I purchased some acoustic zen cables from a guy who had Duntechs. He had just sold his fpb-200 and couldnt tell me in enough words how happy he was to get rid of it. I think he replaced his with an Edge M8M and was very happy with it. Im not advocating Pass here, Im just crazy about my amp and for where it took my system. I havent tried a million amps but I have had these and I know what I heard. Anyway, thats my story and im stickin to it. Good luck
I should have read your post a little closer. If all you are using it for is to drive the woofers it may not be a bad choice. I wouldnt use it for full range though.