Krell Duo 300 compared to Evo 302e or 402e?

Hi I am looking for an amp to power some Revel Salon 2s and wondering about these amps. From all I can read it seems that the 302e or 402e would be a good amp for the Salon 2s but the new Duo 300 with it's cooler running demeanor is definitely appealing. I am wondering if anyone out there has compared these or owned both and can shed some light on this?
128x128ejlif

Showing 4 responses by fsmithjack

I am considering going to Krell Evo402e from Pass Labs X350.5. Is this Krell a good amp. I thought it might be a great amp but reading this folks call it harsh - I don't need a real warm amp like the pass but don't want a harsh one with. The Krell is more money. It is for Magico S5 speakers, Bricasti M1SE Dac, Simaudio Evo P-8 pre and Kubala-Sosna Emotion cable loom. 

Would love any info on the Krell Evo402e
auxinput

Thank you very much - this is outstanding information and just the type of information I was hoping for! Thanks so much !!!  

Thats funny you mentioned Classe. These are the two amps I am considering.

Krell Evo402e
Classe CT-M600 mono blocks

With the Krell, the guy will take my Pass on trade. 

I actually would love some more dynamic's and a higher revealing amp and my fear is I go too far the other way. I will list my gear below and provide a link to my Virtual System and would advice!

I guess something I need to worry about is the metal tweeter's in my
Magico's.

I think I have the perfect cables though. I have Kubala-Sosna Emotion's which is a neutral yet cooper cable. I just purchased a new to me preamp. The Simaudio P-8 which is fantastic IMO. Has some sheen and a dash of warmth to it also so it may work well and my DAC is not bright at all either so other than my tweaters I think I maybe ok to try out a higher revealing amps. Here is my gear. I am thinking either the Krell or Classe may  match up? What do you like better? The Classe are a bit more money and I will need to sell my amps on my own so the Krell is a better offer but in end I just want the best amp. 

My system:
amp I am thinking of replacing: 
* Pass Labs X350.5 Stereo Power Amplifier

Magico S5 Loudspeakers 
Bricasti Design M1SE DAC w/Ethernet Network Player
Simaudio Moon Evolution P-8 Reference Preamplifier 
PS Audio P10 Power Plant AC Power Regeneration
Kubala-Sosna Research - Emotion - Speaker Cables 
Kubala-Sosna Research - Emotion - Interconnects XLR 2.0M, 1.5M
Kubala-Sosna Research - Emotion - AC Power Cable 2.0M
Verastarr Grand Illusion II Power Cable 1.5M 
Elrod Power Systems EPS-2S Signature Power Cable 1.0M 
Nordost Heimdall 2 - Power Cable 2.0M 

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/5160

Thanks again... 

Great info - thanks so much!

I thought berrillyium was a type of metal so that shows what I know... lol 

As I think I mentioned I changed my preamp from Mark Levinson No.326s to Simaudio Moon Evolution P-8 and honestly I can’t believe how much of an upgrade it was. I guess it’s not a real fair match up for ML $10k and Sim $16k but everything got so much better. I’m so happy with this change.

I also switched my audio server and that was another huge upgrade. I went from a custom built mini fanless LPS powered windows based PC that feeds the Ethernet Network Player in my Bricasti M1SE to a non windows linex based Audio only server that is power by the excellent Uptone Audio JS-2 LPS - plugged into a PS Audio P10 and this new server is super low power - it’s processer only uses 10watts it’s a 12w sever and this is another gigantic upgrade that I’m super happy with. 

Im really into some of the very best sound I’ve ever had in my life and I’ve been at it for a while. 

I’d like to pick up 3 more Kubala-Sosna Emotion PC’s so my entire cable loom will be completely Kubala-Sosna Emotion cabling and yes that makes sense to remove the Nordost.

I think my weak link if you could call it that is my Pass amp. It’s not a weak link per say but I’d like to get an amp to push along the resolution and dynamics.

Weight and all that is fine I’m after the highest resolution, most dynamics and the more musical amp with overall best sound. My gut says it’s the Krell. The Krell cost a lot more new - not that matters but they seemed to have more cost no object funds to put into it. 
Thanks 
auxinput
1,429 posts
and
dave_b
2,177 posts

I pulled the trigger on a new amp but went in another direction. Excited and nervous as you never really know until you put in your system and listen in your room. Should have later next week. I had an opportunity to get a great offer on a pair of:

GamuT M250i Mono Blocks Amps

http://www.gamutaudio.com/amplifiers/m250i/