Krell Duo 300 compared to Evo 302e or 402e?

Hi I am looking for an amp to power some Revel Salon 2s and wondering about these amps. From all I can read it seems that the 302e or 402e would be a good amp for the Salon 2s but the new Duo 300 with it's cooler running demeanor is definitely appealing. I am wondering if anyone out there has compared these or owned both and can shed some light on this?
128x128ejlif

Showing 15 responses by audiolabyrinth

@ Ajpk1971,mmm, guess you thought maybe I would not check this thread again, thankyou all the same, all that you listed is no where in the league of the krell amps I own or listened too, cheers
I have a modded Krell 700 CX right now, you should hear what this amp is doing, very incredible, way, way better than a stock 700cx and 302E, I have listened to the 302E many, many times, never owned one, I have owned or listened to alot other krells over the years,I had the Krell company them selfs do a complete re-build of the inside of my Krell 700cx with all new stock cosmetics to make the amp new looking along with the inside, Krell inserted all kinds of parts inside the amp to make it work with the capacitors that were not stock inside this amp when it was made in 2005, you should see the bag of parts they sent back with the amp that I requested, Huge bag of parts, I was supprised, this costed alot of money to do this, I will keep this amp likly the rest of my life to get my money back out of it, not saying I will not have or get another amp one day, it's just not feasable to sale this at a big loss in money that I have tied up in the amp, cheers.
@ Ajpk1971, Hi, This is the very first any thing on the new Krell Duo 300 on audiogon I have seen, Do you own one, or you listened to one?, I really do not care about most pro reviews, I find them very mis-leading these days!, User reviews to me are more realistic, not getting paid,are more usefull to me, they are closer to valid that I know of, cheers.
Again, I ask, what krell amps have any of you here have owned you are compairing the Duo 300 to?
Hi Joecasey, I'm not sure if the modded krell 700cx I have is the best Krell ever, likly NOT, you are correct, Krell likly inserted parts and caps that are inside the brand new amps that they are selling now in my amp, then that is where you draw the line, The Krell 700cx has two huge transformers, essentially two of everything, a mono block amp in one chassis, my amp can handle 1 ohm speaker loads with ease where all the new krell amps cannot go less than 4 ohm loads of speakers, I know this to be a fact, Krell themselfs told me that information, the specs are also far greater in my amp compaired to the new krell amps as well too, my amp is a true balanced design-no RCA connections what so ever, any amp that has RCA and balanced and cast is NOT a true 100% balanced amp, I only have cast and Balanced period., the signal to noise ratio in my amp is 120 DB, the 700 cx is also more complex, The transformer uf specs is far and away greater than all the new Krell amps meaning with my exsperience can play lowest volume setting and still get the total full sound, at the end, it is really your voicing preferance, The evolution E series sounds different than the cx series, I do imagine the new amps sound closer to what I own, since that is krell's goal to go back to class A sound, however, I did live with a stock 700cx for two years, I assure you the sound now is alot better than before now that the amp is modded, I am happy, thrilled with the out come, cheers.
I also wanted to add, when and if I get another amp, I will stick to the sound I have, meaning, I will obtain a Dan D Agistino amp, The new intergrated amp looks very good if that is what any one wants, in my mind, the krell cx amps was Dans last he soley developed by himself, and the heritage carried onto his new company, The Dan D agistino audio.
Great observation Ajpk1971, THAT IS WHY I WENT WITH A MODDED kRELL 700CX versus the 302E amp, I admitt, now you have got my curiosity stirred about the New krell amps, they are priced fair compaired to others out there, congrats on your New Duo 300, did you get to listen to the mono blocks?
Ejif, The reason Krell told you to connect an earthnet cord to your amp is for them to evaluate your amp on their main server their at the factory, believe it or not, your amp is computer oriented, Krell can and will literally make ajustments to your amp if the fans are working out of the ordinary with the speed and sound of the fans, I would hook the amp up inside the house to the connection,you would have to be useing the amp at full campacity when you do this, call krell on the phone, and see what they do with their main server for your amp, it's like essentially your krell in the krell shop without ever leaving your house,and the connection tells krell if there is a problem that you have to send the amp to them for work done to the amp as well, Awsome to me!
Thankyou Gold for your response here, the new krell equipment is still getting circulated to the users to give their opinions on the forum sites, give us more when you can, cheers.
Coinguy37, I apologize on behalf of the Community here for Dave b's remark's,,, you are no troll,  you actually told the truth,  krell has been selling directly for atleast the last 3 years I know of,  however,  they will not sale direct if you have a krell dealer in your area that you live. 
Dave b, krell does not sale direct, wrong again,  I bet you system to system that they do,  they have for a long time now!