Krell Duo 300 Amp Quality

Thoughts on Krell's new Duo 300 amp. I will be using B&W 802N and their center channel for music and home theater and am considering using Krell's Foundation as well. I live in California so the power savings on the new Krell design is interesting. Does anyone know how this amp sounds compared to previous models and any reliability issues? Thanks in advance for you input.
walnut

Showing 2 responses by zd542

Krell has changed quite a bit since Dan is no longer with the company. If I wanted a Krell, I would buy an older model. Either way, you may want to listen to the combo first to see if you can take the tweeter with an amp like the Krell. I couldn't. For me, its just too harsh.
" I wish more people would take a chance and just go listen to them (I have a feeling most people knocking their looks have not actually heard them)."

You have to expect that type of thing. Dan left the company and he was the founder and lead designer. People don't necessarily buy Krell because its a Krell. I suspect most people buy Krell because Dan designed it. Cary is having the same problem.

For me, personally, I like Ayre. If Charles Hanson left the company, I would most likely follow him to where ever he went. I trust him. I don't want Ayre making my electronics, I want Hanson.

Also too, with Krell, I'm willing to bet that when they started making some of their stuff overseas, it actually had a bigger impact on sales than Dan leaving. Another perfect example is Musical Fidelity. The stuff made in Taiwan sounds nothing like the components that were being made in the UK.