Krell amps and Tube Preamps - enemies?

Wow! I never realized how difficult it would be to add tubes with a KRELL amp. I'm no engineer, and, I don't pretend to be into the "technical" side of the audio world. So I'll try to explain.

It seems that tube Preamps create DC. I've been told that DC will dammage my Krell amp (FPB400cx), and possibly my speakers(Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Sig, System 1 piece). UNLESS, I open the amp up and do something to the "jumpers on the digital board" . This puts some protection into the signal path. The Bad thing is, I'm told, - it also colors or degrades the audible signal coming thru the speakers. So, if I want to use my SS set up, say for SACD or DVD-V/DVD-A, I would have to open the amp up again and reverse the proceedure. This would remove the "blockage" in the signal path. :-( This of course, would have to be re-done when I want to go back to the tube setup. WHAT A PAIN!

Needless to say, this has thrown the proverbial 'wet blanket' on my tube enthusiasm. Is this problem common to ALL SS amps? Or is it just a KRELL thing?

Any thoughts would be helpful.
(This is part of a thread i started on the speaker threads, but i thought i might have more luck here on the "amp' Threads)
Thanks
oldpet

Showing 1 response by sirspeedy70680e509

This ongoing subject of tubes vs solid state is so stupid as to be almost laughable.It is the component matching(impedences,capacitance etc.)within our set-ups that determine how effective our stuff is in reproducing a musical signal.That goes along with low distortion and low coloration,as well as non-resonances.I've heard spectacularly performing products(in actual set-ups)that were solid state as well as those that were tube based.If the system was matched well the end result was MUSIC.This is 2005,there is a wide chasm of products to choose from,some of which are great and some not so good.That's it!Regardless of "The grass is always greener on the other side"marketing of either the tube OR ss camp.