Krell 400xi or Musical Fidelity A5 for ML Summit?

I had been using a Krell 400xi with my Summits, but the top end bothered me. I have a chance to get the MF A5 as pretty much an even-up swap? Should I pull the trigger? I have an MF A5 CD player.
t_s_monk

Showing 2 responses by jodus001

My only input is that I did direct A/B tests between a 400xi and a MF TriVista 300(a bit of apples to oranges, I know, but the cost of a used TriVista is about the same as a new 400xi) - the Krell was very articulate, I would say, but with lows a little too extreme, highs a litle bright, but a ridiculously good soundstage (this was when coupled to the Krell 280 CDP) - when using any other CDP that did not have XLR's, the sound degraded FAST. Since you have an A5 CDP, who cares about XLR's? I talked with MF directly about this many times, they simply do not believe in using XLR inputs. The TriVista is utterly laid-back, some may not like this, not sure if the A5 is the same way, but as most consider the TriVista the pinnacle of MF's products, I would assume there is some sonic signature there. MF generally not colored at all, just gives you exactly what you take in.

And as far as service goes, as someone above stated, I found Krell's service HORRENDOUS, can't even talk with anyone on the phone, no return on emails. MF, however, I have talked with Signal Path (their US Dist.) and the factory itself in England about 10 times to ask questions, coudn't have been more responsive. I doubt I will ever sell the TriVista, again, this is my only experience with MF, but it made the 400xi, a Mac 6500, and my Carver Monoblock Silver 7t's in the dust. I sold everything except my old Scott's to keep the TriVista. Accurate. No fatigue. No coloration. The Absolute Sound, at least for me, for now!
That is good to hear about Krell. Maybe I just caught them on a bad day. As I stated, I think the 400xi is one of the best deals on the market. I had a 400 paired with PSB Goldi's for a bit(they add some warmth back to the Krell), and for under $2500 used, for an amp and speakers, that is one heck of a combo.

Great board, great site, I haved learned (and continue to) so much through this site - very thankful.