Koetsu Urushi Tsugaru vs. ZYX Airy R1000 3S

Hello,

I'm looking for a new cartridge and these are two of the finalist that I'm considering. I'm familiar with the Koetsu, as I've heard the Urushi several times and used to own a Rosewood Signature model a couple of years ago.

I've read a lot of good things about the ZYX cartridges, unfortunately I've never had a chance to listen to any ZYX cartridge. The model Airy R1000 3S is the one that intrigues me. I'd love to try the UNIverse, but that's way out of my league. I'm not spending more than $2500 new. From what I've read, the 3S (silver) is warmer and smoother than the 3X (copper) version. Is this accurate?

Has anyone out there had a chance to audition/own these two cartridges? What are your impressions/listening bias?

I tend to prefer a warmer tonal presentation, than try to extract that last ounce of detail buried in the vinyl.

Cheers,
John
128x128jmcgrogan2

Showing 11 responses by jmcgrogan2

Hey Nate,

I've read that the silver version is warmer than the copper version, would you agree?
What other cartridges have you compared it to? Have you ever heard a Urushi?

While I do lean towards the warmer presentation, I'm not looking for dark sound though. I do like detail, just not forced, in your face presentation. A relaxed, unforced, detail is what I meant to imply.

Regards,
John
'Table is VPI HW-19 mk IV w/ SAMA and SDS, tonearm is a VPI JMW 10.5, phono stage is a BAT VK-P10SE w/ Super-PAK.
Current cartridge is a Lyra Helikon.

I have previously owned a Koetsu RSP, and enjoyed it, however I eventually wound up preferring and keeping my Lyra Helikon. The Helikon has been a favorite of mine, but is now starting to show it's age. I could be happy just buying another Helikon, but where's the fun in that? :-)

I've read a lot about the ZYX line, mostly here on AudiogoN, but have not had a chance to hear any of them.

I have heard the Urushi a couple of times, and thought it sounded a bit more transparent than the RSP.

I was just curious as to how the Airy 3 compared to the Urushi, from those that have had a chance to hear them both.

I wish I could play at the UNIverse/Titan level, but I'm still recovering from the phono stage upgrade, and also considering a turntable/arm upgrade in the future. That's why I'm looking in the <$2.5K cartridge price point.

Hopefully this is enough information.
As an aside Doug, it must be nice to be able to compare the silver and the copper UNIverse side-by-side in your own system.

Color me green. :-)

John
Well thanks for all the replies. It looks like the ZYX cartridges are highly recommended and I may have to give Mehran a call.

Not to throw a curve into the equation, but have any of you heard the Ortofon Jubilee? I ask because I was exchanging private e-mails with a 'reviewer' friend. He has reviewed a ZYX cartridge and gave it a very high recommendation. He's told me that his favorite cartridge for the last 6 months or so has been the Jubilee. Evidently he knows quite a few others who are loving it as well, on high end rigs too. VPI HR-X, SME 30's, etc.
Says it has the detail of the ZYX without the forwardness.
Also says it has better bass and dynamics.

He's owned many more cartridges than myself. ZYX Airy 3S SB, Koetsu Rosewood/Signautre/and Platinums, Urushi's, Lyra Titan, Van den Hul's, Shelter's, etc. So he has a lot of experience. I know it's still my ears/my system, but I'll never have a chance to audition them all.

The more I read the more confused I get. You know what they say, a little knowledge is dangerous, and right now I have very little knowledge. :-)

Maybe I should just get another Helikon. I know I like the Helikon. I'm just rambling now, excuse me.

Cheers,
John
C'mon Nate, I'm not that creative. There are three versions of the Urushi:
Tsugaru (black)
Vermilion (red)
Wajima (gold)

Supposedly the Tsugaru is warmer sounding. I've never heard the RSP, but I know someone who has and says it's much better than the Urushi. The RSP is out of my league, just like the Titan and the UNIverse. I'm gonna give Pat a call over the weekend, and see what he thinks.

Cmk, sorry, no pics. My analog front end has been described previously. Preamp is BAT VK-51SE, amp is BAT VK-600SE, speakers are Verity Audio Parsifal Encore's. I/c's and speaker cables are Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!. Power cords from Shunyata/Nordost/Electraglide.

My favorite listening is jazz, mostly from the Davis/Coltrane/Rollins era. Some vocals from the likes of Norah Jones, Patricia Barber, Diana Krall, and some rock from Neil Young/Springsteen/Van Morrison type. Not much classical, no opera, country or rap, thank you.

Room is 24 X 14 X 8.5 , speakers out about 3 to 3.5 feet from the walls.

FWIW, after searching the archives here and at VA, there seems to be very little information about the Jubilee. Although the little info that is out there is all positive.
The Jubilee can be had for about half the price of the Koetsu or the ZYX, so it deserves further consideration. I don't have to go that cheap, but I don't feel compelled to spend more money either. If a cartridge is a great bargain, like your Denon 103 Cmk, then one doesn't have to spend more, right?

John
To further understand your audio journey, which carts have you used before? Also in your opinion, which is the weakest link now in your analogue playback?

Alright Kenneth, let's see. I've owned a Dynavector 10X4 mk II, Grado Reference Platinum, Benz Glider, Sumiko BPS, Benz Ruby 2, Lyra Helikon and Koetsu Rosewood Signature.

The weakest link? Probably the 'table/arm combination.

I would like to address that eventually, but I feel that the cartridge is a more immediate concern. Also, because I'm lazy and selling/shipping the 'table/arm would be more difficult than just buying a new cart. Since I plan on just keeping the Helikon as a back up, there will be no selling/shipping issues at all.

I'd love to get like a Teres 320 table with a Graham Phantom or Wheaton Tri-Planar VII arm, but that seems like a dream right now.

Cheers,
John
Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for the review. The Jubilee hardly sounds like a runaway winner in that light.

Here is what my friend had to say about it (he's also a reviewer):

"The Urushi is a pretty large step down from the RSP.
I did not like the Titan at all. Everything from middle C up had a definite lack of harmonic content, while below middle C it sounded great.
The Zyx is fast and exciting, slightly forward, but this is a balance/system synergy thing that may work great in your system.
The Shelter 90x was very good, too, but after a while I felt it could be better (higher resolution, better soundstages).

The cartridge I have been using for the last 4 months, and I just ordered another one, is an Ortofon Jubilee. It has the detail of the Zyx without the forwardness, bass and dynamics comparable to a Clearaudio Insider Gold, and a very realistic midrange. Where it really excels is the way it keeps complex music clear and distinct, always letting me hear whatever instrument I want to, or just relax into the whole presentation.

Two other listeners, one with a SME30 and one with a VPI HRX (I have a Kuzma) heard the same things from the Jubilee. "

This is quite intriguing, especially since a new, sealed Jubilee can be had for around $1200. It may well be worth a shot.Sounds like it may be some middle ground between the smoothness of the Koetsu's and the detail of the ZYX's.

Thanks again for your input. I'll let you know which way I go.

BTW, I did some searching after reading about your Schroeder. It looks like a pretty impressive arm. I don't know why I never heard of it before ( I guess 'tables and cartridges get most of the press). Teres seems to recommend the Schroeder's VERY highly. They like them better than the Graham 2.2 or the Tri-Planar.
More food for thought......

One more thing, what's that spacer between your Denon cartridge and your Schroeder tonearm? It's not one of these, is it?

Regards,
John
Well, a follow up. After a long phone conversation with Pat Malone and a shorter one with Mehran, I decided to give the Zyx Airy R1000 3S SB a try. I received it on Wed. and after listening for a couple of days I have some initial impressions.

I'm VERY impressed. The tonal balance is very good, more detail than the Koetsu Rosewood Signauture I used to own, more musical than my Lyra Helikon. I won't bother going through the bass/mid/high checklist, as music is so involving that I haven't started analyzing it or breaking it apart. Soundstaging does deserve a special mention though, as it does soundstage VERY well. Spatial cues go well out beyond the speakers and rear wall. The one other thing that has been really impressive is that my LP's sound quieter, with less surface noise.

Kenneth, I really wish I could have tried a Sumiko Celebration and/or the Ortofon Jubilee, but when one is cyber-shopping, there are only so many options. One must just try to gather info and make a decision, which is what I tried to do. I am very happy with my new Zyx. That's not to say that it's better than the Jubilee or Celebration. It does sound terrific though.

That's enough for now. Thanks to all of you for your input and guidance.

One more thing, Mehran is a terrific guy to deal with, and I do highly recommend that anyone interested in things analog give him a call. He is not high pressure at all, just a plain, honest gentleman, who really cares about your (my) happiness first and foremost. If only all dealers could be so easy to work with, I might buy more new gear. :-)

Cheers,

John
C'mon Lewm, they are not ZYX-philes. It's all about system balance. Yes, the ZYX is more transparent and the Koetsu is more musical. In some systems the ZYX will sound better, in some the Koetsu will sound better. It depends on the whole system, room included. My system leans towards the side of warmth, so Koetsu's, Benz's, Transiguration's, etc sound dull and lifeless in my room. That does NOT mean that these are bad cartridges. I have been over to friend's houses where these same cartridges sounded much better than they do in my room.

It's the same reasoning that certain brands of well loved components, like Conrad Johnson, don't work in my room. I suppose I could add more reflective surfaces and/or brighter sounding speakers to liven up my room so one of these cartridges may sound better, but really, what is the point of that?

When will people understand that there is no absolute best anything? It's all about balance. Enjoy what works best for you. Everyone is welcome to share their expeiences, but we don't need to start labeling folks.
If you are looking for a cartridge to add warmth and musicality, Koetsu, Benz and Transfiguration are fine choices. If you are looking for a cartidge to add resolution and life, ZYX, Lyra and Dynavector are all fine options.

Cheers,
John
Perhaps I lumped the Transfiguration cartridges too quickly with the Benz and Koetsu brands. I've never own a Transfiguration and I have only heard the two Orpheus' in two friend's systems. I would say that while they did not seem as warm to me as Benz or Koetsu cartridges, I would not call the Orpheus neutral. At the very least, from what I heard, I would call them "polite". Very good micro-dynamics, not so good macro-dynamics. It did not have the speed, resolution or transparency that I look for in a cartridge.

Since I've never owned a Transfiguration cart, partially due to my listening experiences in friend's homes, nor have I listened to a Temper or Phoenix, I should not have lumped Transfiguration in with Benz or Koetsu. No hard feelings, that's why they make so many different flavors.
I have no idea how to contact Koetsu directly. Maybe best chance is to ask your local dealer or your country's importer. Good luck.