Koetsu Urushi Tsugaru vs. ZYX Airy R1000 3S

Hello,

I'm looking for a new cartridge and these are two of the finalist that I'm considering. I'm familiar with the Koetsu, as I've heard the Urushi several times and used to own a Rosewood Signature model a couple of years ago.

I've read a lot of good things about the ZYX cartridges, unfortunately I've never had a chance to listen to any ZYX cartridge. The model Airy R1000 3S is the one that intrigues me. I'd love to try the UNIverse, but that's way out of my league. I'm not spending more than $2500 new. From what I've read, the 3S (silver) is warmer and smoother than the 3X (copper) version. Is this accurate?

Has anyone out there had a chance to audition/own these two cartridges? What are your impressions/listening bias?

I tend to prefer a warmer tonal presentation, than try to extract that last ounce of detail buried in the vinyl.

Cheers,
John
128x128jmcgrogan2

Showing 1 response by fjn04

Yve9258-Thanks for resurrecting the thread, and sharing your findings. I have had three Koetsu's. First, a std Red/Rosewood, then RSP, then the Jade. The best result I got was with the RSP on a Graham 2.2, feeding an Aesthetix IO. Certainly not a quiet phono section in stock form, but a nice match for the RSP. During that period, I also bought a Benz Ruby 3, and I agree, it was no RSP. Jumping ahead, my system had changed quite a bit. Instead of a CJ 16/ART pre/Aesthetix Phono, I had moved on to a Shindo Monbrison. I changed the Graham 2.2 to a Basis Vector, and FWIW, the table was a Basis 2500. I never quite got the Jade to perform to the level of the RSP. I am sure there are many reasons for this. The Graham perhaps a better match than the Vector. The fixed loading on the Monbrison not ideal for the Jade. I can't say for sure. The bottom line is, I no longer own a Koetsu, but feel I will once again. I do recognize them as one of the best, for my taste. What tonearm are you using for your Urushi ?