Klipsch Heritage Series

I bought a Rotel amp/pre-amp set up a couple of years ago with B&W CM7 speakers. I ended up hating it and found out it was the Rotel gear. I parted with the Rotel gear for a Rogue Cronus Magnum and the difference in sound through the B&W CM7's was amazing. Now I'm at a point where I think I can do better with my sound stage with different speakers, and the shop where I bought the B&W speakers also sells Klipsch. When I research Klipsch Heritage speakers, I can't find a single review from anyone who hasn't owned them for less than twenty years. What is it about the Klipshc Heritage line? They're paper speakers that look like something that's stuck in time. Is there anyone out there that upgraded from say maybe Dynaudio to Klipsch Cornwalls? I also noticed that they seem to last a very long time. That confuses me since the paper on my printer turns yellow in a month if I don't use it. Please forgive my ignorance but I'm not that savvy with this stuff and I don't want to hold onto the B&W's if I don't have to. My last pair of speakers were B&W DM602's and they were the greatest speakers I've ever owned. I wish I still had them. They were cheap and awesome.
donjr

Showing 1 response by br3098

Donjr, first - this is probably not the best place to research Klipsch Heritage speakers. Go to the High Efficiency Speaker forum on AA, or for a more biased point of view look to the Klipsch Community website.

I like vintage speaker designs such as the Klipsch Heritage, Altec Lansing and many others. I have owned (and still own) several Klipsch models. It is true that these vintage horns sound very different than bass reflex enclosures. I love the hyper detail of a good EL panel or ribbon speaker, but IMHO a good horn speaker is warmer, more musical and has better instrument texture than ELs or all cone speakers.

As you will see, Klipsch Heritage speakers come in a variety of sizes and prices. They all share a similar (if not quite the same) house sound. And despite what some might say, vintage horns can be quite versatile when it comes to room size. I am using a pair of Belles in an 11 x 13 room and they sound great.

If you want to see if Klipsch speakers will work for you, here's my suggestion for doing so on the cheap: look for a clean set of KG-4s. These can be usually be found for less then $200, and often for $100. While these are not Heritage speakers per se, they are very good for the price and will introduce you to the Klipsch sound for a minimal investment. Stick them right up against the back wall, adjust the width apart until the image snaps into focus. Use lamp cord if you like - more expensive cable won't make a noticeable difference (again, IMHO). If you like what you hear, you can sell them for what you paid for them and move up the line, or you can rebuild the crossovers for under $100 which will improve the midrange and high end clarity.

Have fun.