Klipsch Cornwall IV

Hello all,

I'm interested in what people who have heard the speaker feel about it. I currently run spatial M3 turbos and have an all tube analog setup ( line magnetic, hagerman ) with an oppo 105 being the digital front end.

Previous speakers have been acoustic zen, reference 3A, Maggie 3.6, and triangles. I am more concerned with a huge immersive sound stage than I am with pinpoint imagery. I have a big room and have plenty of space between the back wall and my speakers if I need it.

Any thoughts?
128x128simao
That pretty much sums up the cornwall IV.  Lots of fun, a wee bit bass shy at the very bottom, but you can live with it because the bass is very fast and tuneful.   Yes, I would say they run out of steam somewhere in the 35 Hz range.  Would have to measure and I really don't want to bother to set up to do it.
Don while you are performing your next surgery on these why don’t you cut some ports in the back and see what happens. It would be interesting to hear what some reinforcement would do. Have any of you compared these to a pair of Ardens? I’ve seen the Chev comparisons but it seems the Arden would be the competitor at least in size and specs.
Hi
No, I am not modding the cabinets at all.  Right now I have just damped the horns and woofer frames, and really improved the crossovers with far better parts.  If I ever wanted to sell the speakers I have not devalued them in any way, but rather I have improved them.   Cutting holes= end of value.  I will say that putting ODAM caps in and putting the pathaudio (or other fine resistor I suspect) is a big difference.

No never heard a Tannoy of any sort.   Right now I need to put the spatial x5 back in at some point and compare.  Two completely different solutions, both with their strengths.   The Cornwalls are fun and they do pretty much everything right, but they do bottom out at the very, very low end.  Really it isn't an issue.  I hate subs as they are tough to integrate and there is always the temptation to fool with them, but a pair of subs to just get you 20-40 Hz reinforcement would do it.  You hardly need them with the cornwalls, just on a few tracks that have a lot of energy in the really low end.   A piano lowest note is 28 Hz as I recall.  The X5 integrated subs were perfect.  Once the woofer surrounds loosened up I dialed them down a wee bit and never touched them.  Clayton has it worked out.

Still, as you have discovered, the cornwall IV is just tons of fun and you really have to ask yourself if you need a better speaker.   Just enjoy the music and don't worry about it.   Put a good tube system in front of them and be happy.  If you do bother to improve the crossover parts you will hear it, but they are quite nice stock.
I tried the Tannoy Cheviot in my room, bass was indeed big, but everything else was worse than both Forte IV and Heresy IV. Forte bass was quite on par with Cheviot
I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the Forte IV....  I've had mine since February and love them....   

I think the Cornwall are well worth the money if space allows.  Seems like a lot of happy owners in this thread