Klipsch Chorus II for $600, yes or no?

Who has these speakers and do you think this is a good price? I know they sound amazing but value wise, could I do better for $600?
They are in mint condition, cosmetically and apparently (haven't heard them yet) the speakers are also in very good condition for their age.

I'm quite keen on getting them, just need a nudge from a couple of people who may know them better than me.

I've had (and still own some) Boston Acoustics, Monitor Audio Gold 10s, B&W 683s and 602s, DBX SF-150s, Bose 301s and I've heard and like the Klipsch KG4s
mangist

Showing 9 responses by mangist

Thanks for your replies, I think I know what I need to do.

About the crossover swapout, are these really necessary? What difference would it make to the sound vs. just leaving the speakers at factory spec?
Going to pick them up tonight. Thank you very much for the advice. Will be looking into the crossover recap/rebuild. I am comfortable with soldering electronic components and reading schematics. Never tested a capacitor before so I'll need to lookup how to do that properly.
@rmclain Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to write that out. I have been reading since I found the Chorus II and I think I will do all of those suggestions. I want to hear them "stock" first so I can make a good comparison of the before and after mods.

I'm pretty excited.
@rmclain damn! That sounds painful. I will stick to a soldering iron and screwdriver!

I ended up buying them, and oh man, these Chorus IIs are HUGE! Wife not super impressed although she did comment on how nice they looked. Trying desperately now to find a good place for them to live for the next year or 2 until we get a bigger house.

Already spoke to Crites, going to do the crossover rebuild myself using one of his kits. Got the Dynamat on the way too, just have to find the 2oz washers and measure up some wood for cabinet supports. I will hold off on the diaphragm update for now.
@mrdecibel I never claimed to be a smart man :)  But in all seriousness, yes size was the issue and I did not completely understand the massive size of the Chorus speakers until I saw them in person. 

I don't regret the purchase by any means, I'm pretty excited. I know that at least with these, if I did need to pass them on, there are many willing bodies out there who would like them. The DBX (while being incredible speakers) were just a little awkward with their Soundfield tech and shape and no-one knew the name so they were difficult to sell.

@rmclain I have these receivers at home, which do you think would be best suited for the Chorus IIs?  Marantz 4270, Marantz MM7025, NAD C372, Adcom GFA 6000, Kenwood KR-V9010, Kenwood KA-6000, Sony STR-DE725, Krell 300iL?

I was going to start with the NAD or the Marantz MM7025, they both sound phenomenal on B&Ws, or my Monitor Audio Gold 10s.

Unfortunately as it stands at the moment, I have not ventured into the world of tube amps. Something to check out in the near future.
@richopp why what?
I got the speakers, I'm very happy with them. Demo'd last night on my NAD C372. I can't believe the efficiency of them, I could barely move the volume knob 10% and they were already loud enough for me. Great sound out of them.
@rmclain thanks. what do you think of the Scott Alpha 6? And Sansui AU-11000? Found a local guy who is selling these.
Ahh @richopp yes, I guess I'm always curious about trying new components that I've read about or heard about and not experienced for myself. The reviews and the almost cult following that the older Klipsch speakers have led me to believe that there was truly something there to be heard. They were right, the speakers are incredible. Definitely the best speakers I have heard in my life and I'll be holding onto these for as long as I can.

The next task is going through and trying all the different amplifiers I have to see what fits best. Would have got to the Marantz 4270 last night but it doesn't take Nakamichi plugs which is what I had wired up to the Chorus IIs and I was too lazy to swap out for regular speaker wire. I may do that over the weekend. I'm pretty excited about all of it.

My wife was blown away by the sound quality, she was grinning the whole time going through her iTunes library playing all her favourite tracks. Great night.