kimber select 3033 speakercable?

how is this cable sound?
is it better than the "monocle xl"?
musicland

Showing 1 response by esoler

I've had Kimber Bifocal XL and 3033 in my system. While they are both good, they lack refinement; and are slighty grainy on top. The 3033 was slightly better in MY system, but to me it was not worth the difference in price; specially when it will cost you more to Bi-wire. I agree that the 3035 has the family resemblance of the other Kimbers, but it is more than twice as good as the 3033 in my opinion. The grain is gone, and clarity, refinement and speed are added....for a price!

Last time I shopped for cables I did a shoot out in my own system : Kimber Bifocal XL, 3033, AudioMagic Sorcerer and
Straight Wire Cresendo. The Cresendo was way better than the others in every respect, incuding state of the art bass and no grain (I never have heard any Cardas in my system). The Cresendo compares in price with the 3033.

I heard the 3035's at my local dealer,but did not take them home since I could'nt afford them at the time. I got the cresendos and almost imediately got to try Acousic Zen Satori (0nly $600/6ft. pr. retail). In MY system they TOTALY destroyed the Cersendos. They had the same base, they had the same palpability of images; but they separated everything better with an uncanny pinpoint accuracy (it made it very easy to define location and distance), Even better coherence (something the Cresendo is very good at)and an amazing extension in the upper registers that made everything but the 3035 sound dark...little tinckling sounds like bells and triangles FLOATED with incredible clarity and presision.

I sold the Cresendos at a loss, and still had money left in my pocket. I took the Acoustic Zen to the local Kimber dealer to compare it to the 3035's . We swithed in 3 different systems, tube and solid state with several speakers. The Satori was better in all systems but one.
A combination of of Rouge (tube) and Canton speakers took
some flesh out of the mid's. I noticed this in my system as a very slight leaness in the upper bass, so it can be a little system dependent. I've heard Nordost Quattro-Fil described in this fashion(Slight leanness),and I've also heard of a lot of people selling their Nordost and getting the Satori.

This is only my opinion! As always, try everything you can get you're hands on. My system: Micromega Sage 3 CD, Melos SHA-1 Hybred PRE, LLANO DESIGN (White Audio Lab)Hybred Amp, PS Audio P-300, Acoustic Zen interconnect and speaker cable, and PC's by BMI and Electraglide.