Kimber 8TC beater?

Hi Guys,

Need your help in recommending speaker cables that will beat the 8TCs in terms of a fuller and bigger (image size and soundstage). Preferably in the same price rage or maybe slightly higher.

Thanks!
pc123v

Showing 9 responses by pc123v

@Loftarasa. Wow...Thank you so much for taking the time to explain things and in such great detail. I really appreciate your help.

I will be looking into getting the Mogami 3104...:)

Just a quick question....how does the Mogami compare with the Supra ply which I am currently using? Would it be a step in the right direction towards a fuller and bigger sound? How about imaging?

Thanks again.
@Loftarasa...I happen to chance upon a used pair of the 8TC and it seems that a new pair of cryo'ed mogami 3104 from TakeFive is about the same price. Decisions...decisions. Now that the price differential is out of the equation...which would better suit my needs?

Thanks for your patience.
@loftarasa...from your experience...what sonic differences can one expect from cryo'd and non-cyro'd speaker cables? Noticeable differences?

Thanks again...:)
@Zd542...Thank you so much for taking the time to explain. Yeah...it's time the retire the Supras and try something different.
@Loftarasa...yeah, it's really a pain...plus it sounds thin and smallish to boot...:(

I really appreciate all your help and advice...:)
@Loftarasa and all...for the 3104...TakeFive offers a "bi wire" option. Not two separate cables. It's 2 leads at the amplifier end and 4 leads at the speaker end. If I were to go with that...I will connect 2 leads to the mids and 2 leads to the woofer (separate module...I have the Hyperion 938). I would then use jumpers to jump from the mid to the tweeter.

Another option would be to get the 3104 in a standard configuration...ie...2 at the amp and 2 leads at the speaker end. I would then have to get 2 sets of 3104 jumpers and jump one set from the mid to the tweeter and one set from the mid to the woofer. This would be a more expensive option...ie....I would have to get an extra set of jumpers and one set would have to be longer than the standard length of inches and 2 set of jumpers will be connected to a separate module.

Your thoughts?

PS Thank you for your patience again...my knowledge in hifi is very very limited.
@Akg_ca. and everyone. Thanks for your response. My system is as follows...

cd player....resolution audio opus 21
amps monos...hyperion ht-88
speakers.....hyperion 938
ICs..........grover huffman (new and broken in...latest version)
SCs..........supra ply 3.4 shielded

It's an old system that was in hibernation for years til a few months ago. Presently, system sounds quite constricted...quite thin and "smallish" sounding. Amps retubed recently.

From my memory, I am thinking thats it's the sonic signature of the hyperion 938s. I am hoping the improve the overall sound to something which I can live with. If it doesn't work...I will probably get a new pair of speakers.

Thanks.

PS Unable to get home audition for cables in my area.
Thanks everyone for all your input. It would certainly be great if the Mogami 3104 (low price) is what I am seeking. As mentioned...I will be using speaker cables as a "tone control". If I can't get a fuller and bigger sound (image size and soundstage)...will probably be getting new speakers as a last resort. Btw...also want to avoid cables which are tilted towards the top end...ie...cool side of neutral. I always felt that the Hyperion 938 sounded constricted, thin and "small".

Anyways...anyone compared the mogami 3104, kimber 8tc and morrow? How about Grover Huffman?
@Almarg...Thank you so much for your advice. Yes...have tried both 4 and 8 ohm taps...no audible difference. System is in my bedroom...12 x 14 x 10...smallish and unable to maneuver speakers much. I think I could squeeze out a bit more "fullness" by repostioning my speakers a little but that leaves the smallish image size problem. Retubing was done about 5 months ago...didn't improve matters much. Last resort is to upgrade my supra ply speaker cables...it's about 10 years old and I got them free...so I don't really mind changing them. I hope to get a fuller and "bigger" sound...esp image size. Hope the speaker cable I eventually choose will give me that. If sonic signature of my present system remains more or less the same...I guess it will be time for me to look for new speakers.

@Loftarasa...hmmm...Per your description/comparison...I think the mogami is more appropriate for my system than the 8tc. Thank you for all your help!
More to discover