Killer Floor Standing Speakers under $4000 for Rock?

polling all ears (subjective I suppose) but would like to hear you people who have heard fairly high end speaker that kick ass in clarity for mostly Rock/ Fusion Jazz at high volumes with killer clean power .

I currently have a :
Marantz PM-11S1 Integrated amp
SVS SB-1000 Sub
NHT 2.3 Towers
Technics SL15

Klipsch/Paradigm/Infinity/B&W/Dynaudio/PSB ???
128x128tommypenngotti

Showing 3 responses by tls49

"Google the Lirpa Labs Liberty Freedom 1776 A-FY."

I did and I'm thinking, LOUD, and lots of it.

When I read the title of this post and see "kick ass" and "high volumes", I'm thinking only a higher sensitivity speaker will be suitable for the poster. A 3db increase in loudness requires a double of the power or a 3db increase in speaker sensitivity. The sensitivity of speaker recommendations here range from 87db to 104db, both spec'd at 2.83v @ 1m, however both are 4 ohm speakers, so the 2.83v is 2 watts. A 1 watt rating will be 3db lower, 84db and 101db. It's been noted in another thread that while listening at an average of 75db, peaks were measured at over 100db on classical music. With rock/fusion jazz at high volume I have no doubts that peaks will be over 100db. Now listening at 3m and using that speaker with the lowest sensitivity would require over 200w for 100db and over 700w for 105db. Obviously that speaker is a poor choice. The speaker with the highest sensitivity would only require about 5w for 100db and about 15w for 105db. These power estimates come from an online calculator that factors in use of 2 speakers and in a room, not anechoic chamber. IMHO, the poster should use speakers with a sensitivity of mid 90's and above.

FWIW, the Zu Omen Def is a home speaker with the same sensitivity of those JBL's.

Sensitivity for the ELAC - Uni-Fi FS U5 is 85 dB at 2.83 v/1m and since it is a 4 ohm speaker, the 1 watt rating is 82db. I seriously doubt the poster would make it through his first hour of listening before the tweeters were blown.