KEF Reference 201/2 and Vintage Pioneer SX-1250???

Ok, this may be a potentially weird combination and it hasn't happened yet, so I will ask the world while I am still considering taking the plunge on the KEF's: Anyone out there with experience or opinion on pairing up a set of new KEF Reference 201/2 with a mint condition Pioneer SX-1250 receiver with 160 watts? It would have a Marantz SACD player to round out the eclectic mix. :-)

My guess (Only a guess) at this point would be a warm sounding, powerful combo............

I would love to hear feedback and/or opinions.

Thanks,
B
bsambo59

Showing 1 response by whitecap

Bsambo59:

I recently put together an alternate "weird combination" around vintage Pioneer and can report that you're onto something fun and potetially very rewarding to the ears. And of course your SX1250 dazzles the eye. My office system: Pioneer SX1980, CDP is Rega Saturn, speakers are Linn Katan, and sub is Velodyne SPL. Warmish (but not too), crisp/detailed, and tons of effortless muscle when called upon.

I have not heard the KEF 201/2 so can't directly answer your question, but I too have been interested to audition the 201/2s, and will when the opportunity presents (potentially for the main system at home, the office rig is sweet and set). Be sure the Marantz CDP is of their higher end. The SX1980 sings with the Saturn but was only good, not great, with a Marantz DV8400. If you pair the SX1250 with the KEF 201/2, please post your results.

Good luck.