KEF Reference 201/2 and Vintage Pioneer SX-1250???

Ok, this may be a potentially weird combination and it hasn't happened yet, so I will ask the world while I am still considering taking the plunge on the KEF's: Anyone out there with experience or opinion on pairing up a set of new KEF Reference 201/2 with a mint condition Pioneer SX-1250 receiver with 160 watts? It would have a Marantz SACD player to round out the eclectic mix. :-)

My guess (Only a guess) at this point would be a warm sounding, powerful combo............

I would love to hear feedback and/or opinions.

Thanks,
B
bsambo59

Showing 1 response by audiofreakgeek

Hifi Critic is an idiot, the speakers are breath taking however, as with any really high resolution loudspeaker system matching is critical, also if you enjoy the sweeter sound of a soft dome tweeter you will probably not like the highly detailed sound of the KEF 201, with that being said if you want: a huge soundstage
remarkable transparency
superb treble accuracy
shocking dynamics for a compact monitor
extremely tight well defined bass

I use the 201.2 often with a sub woofer, they don't go that low by themselves, and any monitor which doesn't scream with artificial mid bass emphasis is going to sound not too involving. As with anything it is the setup, a Ferrari with Cooper Bias Ply tires and 82 octane gas is still a Ferrari it just won't drive like one!